Volvo XC40 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Snooping through the Volvo Cars app under the charge section then through the electrification guide get the most out of electric car section then under the optimization section Volvo claims the XC40 Recharge can get 250 miles under optimal conditions. Acknowledge this says it's under optimal conditions but should we be expecting an efficiency bump with a soon to come update? It's a little misleading to not clearly state the EPA 208 mile range even though that's real world vs optimal.

·
Registered
1,138 Posts
Another glaring miscommunication from Volvo. The car is rated for 208 US miles. It would be rare to 250 from the car IMO.

·
Registered
1,678 Posts
US ratings are different than EU ratings. Europe assumes more city driving vs USA which assumes more high way. I can believe we get a 250 miles in optimal conditioning in a city / low speed driving No heating or cooling. No music. And correct temp that means batteries have less heating or cooling.

·
Registered
1,138 Posts
US ratings are different than EU ratings. Europe assumes more city driving vs USA which assumes more high way. I can believe we get a 250 miles in optimal conditioning in a city / low speed driving No heating or cooling. No music. And correct temp that means batteries have less heating or cooling.
I still think that is rare. I have driven around town exclusively and driving like grandma I can do about 3 mi/kWH maybe a little better. 100-0 that is still maybe 225-230 and no one is going to run it to 0. I think practical 90-10 range is 180 is driven nicely, but plan on 150.

Reactions: SeattleCat

·
Registered
1,678 Posts
I still think that is rare. I have driven around town exclusively and driving like grandma I can do about 3 mi/kWH maybe a little better. 100-0 that is still maybe 225-230 and no one is going to run it to 0. I think practical 90-10 range is 180 is driven nicely, but plan on 150.
Agreed.

I have had drives were I could probably of done 250 if I had started at 99 and gone down to 2 but I tend to start at somewhere between 50 and 90 I do not tend to go under 30.

Honestly I thought this would stress me. I used to top it off to 90 when ever I could now I am all relaxed and do not care if my car has over 50%

·
Registered
1,678 Posts
According to ABRP 99% to 10% at a max speed of 55mph will get you 222 miles.

·
Registered
1,138 Posts
Agreed.

I have had drives were I could probably of done 250 if I had started at 99 and gone down to 2 but I tend to start at somewhere between 50 and 90 I do not tend to go under 30.

Honestly I thought this would stress me. I used to top it off to 90 when ever I could now I am all relaxed and do not care if my car has over 50%
I am warming up to it as I get used to our normal efficiency numbers. I typically average around 3mi/kWh wife is more like 2.6-2.7 as she learns how to squeak most out of the car. I am aiming for 2 charges a week, Fridat noght to have it ready for weekend then Sunday night to get us through the week. Lowest I have gotten to was 49% SOC (from 90%) and that was around 85-90 miles. Winter will be interesting as I want to see how colder weather hits the range. Fortunatley here in ATL January is coldest rest should not be too bad,.

According to ABRP 99% to 10% at a max speed of 55mph will get you 222 miles.
That is interesting as at 55mph the air drag should be hurting a bit due to the car low coefficient of drag. Real test will be in November we need to pick my mom up from airport it is around a 90 mile round trip mostly 55-65mph.

·
Registered
1,678 Posts
ABRP limits speed if the range is getting close other than that it defaults to my normal 80 I think.

55 has drag but a lot less than 65. Yeah the varying with velocity squared sucks.

·
Registered
1,138 Posts
I would love to see 2 identical cars with tires be only difference compared. I am wondering the difference between 19 and 20s. Then this "ELECT" Pirellis I wonder if they really buy anything noticeable. As hard as they are to get and looking like I need to replace a rear tire now I may opt to move to a similar no EV Pirelli with good tread life which should translate into decent rolling resistance. The only place I see these tires mentioned is in Canada

·
Registered
1,678 Posts
I have a feeling that if you had 4 cars

1. Heat pump. Non ev tire.
2. Heat pump. Low rolling resistance Ev tire
3. No Heat pump. Non ev tire.
4. No Heat pump. Low rolling resistance Ev tire

And Ran these over the same course at the same time. Weights Added for driver made that the difference in consumption would be within the 1% accuracy we have from the charger.

If this is not the case why are their not tests done with actual data showing the effects?

If I were selling an ev and had an optional heat pump and it made a noticeable difference I would publish that data. **** I would publish it if it made a small difference. I do not understand the silence / secrecy and lack of data from car companies.

Then again after vw do we believe them by default anyway?

You know what would be interesting. A Volvo rally from point a to point b (and back) with trip counters reset and pictures of the before and after charge rates and trip efficiencies recorded.

Evs with various configurations. Some people liking to be hot others ac on full blast. Some really living life and playing music.

A modified version of this which would be less accurate but would give some data is the above trip. Same recorded data but you do it when ever you want and just publish the data on a thread. We could add in a time collection and see the difference velocity makes. (Would need temperature as well).

perhaps after this heat wave I will publish a thread on doing this. I would say during heat wave would be great data but I do not want melted road crud on my car :)

·
Registered
1,138 Posts
I have a feeling that if you had 4 cars

1. Heat pump. Non ev tire.
2. Heat pump. Low rolling resistance Ev tire
3. No Heat pump. Non ev tire.
4. No Heat pump. Low rolling resistance Ev tire

And Ran these over the same course at the same time. Weights Added for driver made that the difference in consumption would be within the 1% accuracy we have from the charger.

If this is not the case why are their not tests done with actual data showing the effects?

If I were selling an ev and had an optional heat pump and it made a noticeable difference I would publish that data. **** I would publish it if it made a small difference. I do not understand the silence / secrecy and lack of data from car companies.

Then again after vw do we believe them by default anyway?

You know what would be interesting. A Volvo rally from point a to point b (and back) with trip counters reset and pictures of the before and after charge rates and trip efficiencies recorded.

Evs with various configurations. Some people liking to be hot others ac on full blast. Some really living life and playing music.

A modified version of this which would be less accurate but would give some data is the above trip. Same recorded data but you do it when ever you want and just publish the data on a thread. We could add in a time collection and see the difference velocity makes. (Would need temperature as well).

perhaps after this heat wave I will publish a thread on doing this. I would say during heat wave would be great data but I do not want melted road crud on my car :)

I believe the EPA tests are run at a fixed temperature thus the heat pump does not show its true value. There is a video that showed just in heats the car for a few hours Bjon noticed the heat pump car used 10%SOC to the heat pump car 3% and they were identical model 3s and not moving so that is a decent comparison. It was also very cold so for most climates where you do not get longer colder winters heat pump may not make a big deal.

the 20s are so big on the P8 I question how "low rolling resistant" you can make them compared to a high tread life all season of similar size. Especially if the darn tires are impossible to get and cost much more.

This all comes down to home much driving ot want to do between charges under what conditions and then the cost of electricity.

For me I want most efficiency as possible, but I realize my power is cheap (I get a bunch free every month) and so far over 425 miles I don't believe I have paid for any power. My wife has XC40 T5 and is averaging around 24 MPG and that car requires premium, over same distance her fuel costs were $60. Even had I paid for the power at my discounted night rates it would have been less than $10.

So while I am curious about some of these metrics, for me not likely going to impact my wallet either way. There is a good chance if the ELECT tires are not readily available I am swapping both rears for something easier to get.

Out plan is in 3 years wife takes my P8 (why they are both Blue) and we trade the T5 for another EV as at that time the choices will be much better and ranges should be better.

We all not manufactures will go overboard to squeak another MPGe or MPG out of a car regardless of the impact to the customer, especially in convivence or total cost of ownership.

·
Registered
1,678 Posts
I believe the EPA tests are run at a fixed temperature thus the heat pump does not show its true value. There is a video that showed just in heats the car for a few hours Bjon noticed the heat pump car used 10%SOC to the heat pump car 3% and they were identical model 3s and not moving so that is a decent comparison. It was also very cold so for most climates where you do not get longer colder winters heat pump may not make a big deal.

the 20s are so big on the P8 I question how "low rolling resistant" you can make them compared to a high tread life all season of similar size. Especially if the darn tires are impossible to get and cost much more.

This all comes down to home much driving ot want to do between charges under what conditions and then the cost of electricity.

For me I want most efficiency as possible, but I realize my power is cheap (I get a bunch free every month) and so far over 425 miles I don't believe I have paid for any power. My wife has XC40 T5 and is averaging around 24 MPG and that car requires premium, over same distance her fuel costs were $60. Even had I paid for the power at my discounted night rates it would have been less than $10.

So while I am curious about some of these metrics, for me not likely going to impact my wallet either way. There is a good chance if the ELECT tires are not readily available I am swapping both rears for something easier to get.

Out plan is in 3 years wife takes my P8 (why they are both Blue) and we trade the T5 for another EV as at that time the choices will be much better and ranges should be better.

We all not manufactures will go overboard to squeak another MPGe or MPG out of a car regardless of the impact to the customer, especially in convivence or total cost of ownership.
We have a similar plan except we need o move to a house from a condo then wife(2) gets the P8 and I get a larger longer range ev that can take both wives and the dog more easily. Something with a in reality 350 mike range. Then at some point we get a self driving ev for wife(1) or one of the really cheap evs China has and I hope we get for wife(1) we our 3rd ev.

Never want to do an ice again. Honestly I do not care about the efficiency of the car it is just the scientist and math head in me that what to see the data. If I had to choose between a more efficient single motor 201 bhp car or the 402 I have it would be the 402 that wins :)
Faster charging. Longer range and more stations would be lovely especially inside an America which magically became more infrastructure robust with plenty of healthy energy to go around vs a country that has brown outs and asks people not to run ac in some areas. Oh well I can but dream.

·
Registered
1,138 Posts
Never want to do an ice again. Honestly I do not care about the efficiency of the car it is just the scientist and math head in me that what to see the data. If I had to choose between a more efficient single motor 201 bhp car or the 402 I have it would be the 402 that wins :)
Faster charging. Longer range and more stations would be lovely especially inside an America which magically became more infrastructure robust with plenty of healthy energy to go around vs a country that has brown outs and asks people not to run ac in some areas. Oh well I can but dream.
Yeah I had an ID.4 AWD on order, but the P8 was just nicer. I do wan the next oen to be AWD with at lease 300hp and 250-300 real range. One thing I see is how VW is suggesting people only charge to 80%, well that makes it only slightly better range in AWD than the P8 which is then hands down the better car.

·
Registered
1,678 Posts
Yeah I had an ID.4 AWD on order, but the P8 was just nicer. I do wan the next oen to be AWD with at lease 300hp and 250-300 real range. One thing I see is how VW is suggesting people only charge to 80%, well that makes it only slightly better range in AWD than the P8 which is then hands down the better car.
Yeah I will not buy a car that is not awd. Wet weather traction is important plus I like the purity of concept of all wheel traction. I wonder when Volvo will do a 4 motor car for even better awd. Hopefully there are more options in motor power. I really do not want a 804 Bhp xc90. Okay I might a little but a 402 one would be plenty :)

I wonder how much better a 4 motor vs 2 would be.

I am still waiting for traction / off road / hill climbing P8 vids / reviews to happen. Perhaps this winter :)

·
Registered
270 Posts
From other's Tesla experience, it's pretty easy to lose 10% total range by switching from low-rolling-resistance tires to a sticky sports tire like the Pilot Sport 4 on the same wheels. Michelin is planning to ship a LRR Pilot Sport EV tire later in 2021 in the USA. It's already shipping in China and Europe. The 3rd world EV countries (US among them) come last.

·
Registered
2021 White XC40 Recharge P8
226 Posts
Since I primarily drive around town I have not been stressing out about range. Yesterday I ran down to 25% for the first time. I do ask Google about range more than I anticipated. I’m to the point where I don’t think about plugging in unless the SOC is <45%.

I’m eager to try a day trip and use some of my $500 ChargePoint credit. Unfortunately, North Carolina has a dearth of CP DCFCs in the Outer Banks or the mountains around Boone and Banner Elk.

·
Registered
83 Posts
I think of EPA estimates as being relative. So if one vehicle has a higher EPA rating, it probably goes proportionally farther. They may or may not get the actual range.

·
Registered
2021 XC40 Recharge
154 Posts
Such great points mentioned that I needed to make myself a cheat sheet to convert efficiency numbers and compare them to mine. So far, I'm happy with the efficiency. But, I mostly drive on flat side roads from 30-50 MPH. Although, I'm betting that once the temperatures drop below freezing that it'll be much less than EPA. I'm enjoying it now while the warm temperatures last!

·
Registered
27 Posts
Since I primarily drive around town I have not been stressing out about range. Yesterday I ran down to 25% for the first time. I do ask Google about range more than I anticipated. I’m to the point where I don’t think about plugging in unless the SOC is <45%.

I’m eager to try a day trip and use some of my $500 ChargePoint credit. Unfortunately, North Carolina has a dearth of CP DCFCs in the Outer Banks or the mountains around Boone and Banner Elk.
We just left Banner Elk for our son’s Lee’s-McRae orientation. Wish I had our P8 on those curvy mountain roads. Only saw one charger and was not DCFC. Hope that changes at least up at the resorts.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts