Volvo XC40 Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
After a relatively brief 3ish-month wait, our XC40 Recharge Ultimate just arrived here in California! This is the first brand new car I've picked up in over a decade, and for the most part, it is meeting or exceeding my obsessively researched expectations.

We went with the Sage Green colorway in the Ultimate trim, and were able to add the pixel headlights which look outstanding. I have no idea if they're actually offering that much functionality, but they look phenomenal so that works for me for now. We were torn between Fjord Blue and Sage Green but went with the green for something a little less common and something that wouldn't show dirt too well, as we're trying to be drought-friendly by washing the car more infrequently. It's really a beautiful color and we're thrilled with our choice. For the interior, we chose the charcoal fusion microtech vinyl, as it just seemed the most durable and easy to clean compared to the fabric and suede options (even though it's considered the "low end" choice from the core model). Dunno if that'll pan out, but it feels very nice and compares favorably to the sensatec interior of our X3. So far so good!

The main interior drawback comes with the topographic light panel. As many folks have pointed out, the lighting causes a loud buzz to come through the speakers which is super annoying during city driving. On the plus (well, plus-ish) side, the buzz remains at a constant volume basically no matter what we do, so when driving on the highway with the stereo cranked up a bit, the buzz can't really be heard and the lighting adds a little fun on boring night time highway drives. Otherwise, we've been happier just leaving the lighting panel off. Hopefully Volvo makes some adjustments to this soon as it is pretty annoying.

Driving dynamics feel really good overall. Obviously the car is a rocketship which provides plenty of juice to accelerate onto a short highway ramp, but for me the tuning of the one-pedal drive mode has been impeccable. I have yet to put my foot on the brake pedal other than to start the car, and somehow being able to just tune the speed up and down with one foot has given me a very organic feeling of control when driving. The firm steering has helped the car feel a bit more responsive to me, but overall the handling has been good and I haven't felt the weight of the vehicle too much when steering or taking steep hill climbs. Where I have definitely felt the weight is in the very very firm suspension feel. Our highways in CA are not all especially well-maintained, and we were definitely getting jostled about a bit more than we're used to. So far, it hasn't been that bad but it's certainly noticeable.

Driver assistance is solid and easy to access. Just hit one button on the steering wheel and the cruise control options come right on. I don't feel a need to fine tune what's available to me too much; I like having the entire system running. Lane assist is good but hugs the lane a bit and feels slightly scary at high speeds. I think it would be more than good enough to get me through a boring commute or a long highway drive. I haven't been overly pestered by having to wiggle the steering wheel as some reviewers had noted.

The driving position is high and feels authoritative. Combined with the good handling and excellent acceleration, I feel very confident behind the wheel of this car. Visibility is generally very good all around the vehicle, with the slight exception of the cuts in the rear side windows though honestly it's not too bad. Cameras are good but a little more lighting for the backup camera would be helpful at nigh, and I certainly miss having a side-by-side backup and 360 view simultaneously. The car has generally been pretty smart in auto-selecting 360 or backup cameras for the right situations though.

Speaking of the smartness of the car, I know a lot of folks aren't too enthralled with the Android Automotive system but I've really liked it so far. I was unable to use the QR code to add my account, but once I added it, using the car has been great. I already use Pocket Casts for all my podcasts and it's been wonderful to (mostly) pick up a podcast where I left it off between the car and my phone. I say mostly because there can be a 5-10 minute lag which is annoying but not insurmountable. Pairing users to keys was very easy and hugely appreciated as my wife and I not only have different seating needs but also very different opinions as to which locking, power, and driving mode settings we prefer. Compared to the X3, the Volvo does a much better job figuring out which key is being used by the driver when we are both in the car. I am using the care key for myself because orange, though I wish we could get some other case colours and also that the car came with three keys (two normal and one care key) as opposed to just one normal key and one care key. I suppose that, as cost cutting or chip reduction efforts go, I'd rather lose a key than lose Bluetooth.

I have yet to miss having Android Auto on the car. Everything I need is available built-in, though that's mostly because I am all about Pocket Casts and Youtube Music. It's also been fun watching TV via the Tubi app when parked. The system that reads my texts is a bit weird, as it keeps reading out phone numbers (even for saved contacts) as ("plus one billion, eight hundred million, etc) which is super annoying. Lacking physical buttons does make the interface a bit challenging when driving, but I've been able to use voice control for basically everything: all climate controls, navigation of course, choosing media to play, making calls, and even stuff like turning one-pedal driving on and off. It's good and pretty responsive. Let's see how it all develops. I did have one moment where none of my media would play (but the sound was working for calls and Google Assistant) where I had to restart the car. Weird feeling to have to turn the car off and on again like it's a fussy computer on wheels, which I suppose it is at this point.

Finally, the range. I've been driving mixed highway and city, including a few "acceleration tests" and running the climate pretty solidly due to some cold temps at night. The car was at about 95% from the dealership, and was down to 92% after I finished setting my accounts up at the dealer parking lot. Since then, I've driven about 130 miles and have spent about an hour or so of extra time sitting in the car playing with settings or watching Tubi shows while I wait for my partner to grab something, and the battery is down to 30%. Overall this would put my total range somewhere north of 200 miles and that's with all the first-week fussing going on. Our maximum daily commute would be about 80 miles (my partner and I both work at multiple sites during the week) and I don't anticipate us having any range anxiety. We have a few free charging options near work, and anticipate charging at home on our 240v outlet relatively sparingly. Nice that Volvo is including cables to make that easy!

So far, it seems like this car will be a perfect second vehicle for our family. I appreciate that it looks lovely but also nondescript, and it's comfortable while still feeling utilitarian. Loving the little touches like the grocery hooks in the back and the divider which allowed me to do a dry cleaning and grocery run while keeping everything nice and separate. Now all I have to do is navigate the whole transition here in California from the paper dealer plates to metal plates to getting EV stickers so we can get onto those HOV lanes before the whole thing expires in 2025!

Looking forward to participating more in this community as a fellow XC40 owner. Only a few days in, but Dolores (yeah it's a Seinfeld meta-joke) is feeling like a great fit for our needs so far.

·
Registered
230 Posts
Welcome to the group, best of luck, and congratulations. As the Recharge electrics are getting delivered, maybe there’s a report card format we could use for periodic updates.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Just picked mine up a week ago. Coming from a Land River Defender 90.

- Love the design. It’s very clever. Lots of nice touches and the proportions are wonderful. I think the wheels and tires fit the wheel wells perfectly. So few cars do that these days.

- The electric propulsion is calming in traffic. I think the one pedal driving is beautifully executed. You can’t feel the handoff to the actual brakes. It’s fun enough to drive, but definitely not a true “sporting” coupe. Honestly, I see that as a bonus. The motors and the ride seem to be really judged for each other.

EV’s are quick, but they don’t give that emotional speed you get from something like a 400hp sports car. The C40 succeeds by not trying to be something it can’t be, even though it’s plenty quick off the line.

- Im a big fan of the Google OS. The voice commands are particularly useful. I don’t need a bigger screen. Most of the giant screen cars don’t present anymore information, they just present it bigger.

The Applecar integration is good, but I seem to lose the map on the drivers binnacle screen. I get a message saying I need to do something with Google maps etc. am I missing something?

loving this car. It’s a joy to drive

·
Registered
2022 C40 Recharge
309 Posts
Just picked mine up a week ago. Coming from a Land River Defender 90.

- Love the design. It’s very clever. Lots of nice touches and the proportions are wonderful. I think the wheels and tires fit the wheel wells perfectly. So few cars do that these days.

- The electric propulsion is calming in traffic. I think the one pedal driving is beautifully executed. You can’t feel the handoff to the actual brakes. It’s fun enough to drive, but definitely not a true “sporting” coupe. Honestly, I see that as a bonus. The motors and the ride seem to be really judged for each other.

EV’s are quick, but they don’t give that emotional speed you get from something like a 400hp sports car. The C40 succeeds by not trying to be something it can’t be, even though it’s plenty quick off the line.

- Im a big fan of the Google OS. The voice commands are particularly useful. I don’t need a bigger screen. Most of the giant screen cars don’t present anymore information, they just present it bigger.

The Applecar integration is good, but I seem to lose the map on the drivers binnacle screen. I get a message saying I need to do something with Google maps etc. am I missing something?

loving this car. It’s a joy to drive
When you start navigating with Apple CarPlay, you lose the map on the driver's instrument display. This is just how it is.
Also coming from another JLR product, the I-PACE, the interior of these XC40/C40 are lacking in quality compared to JLR interiors.

·
Registered
2022 XC40 Recharge Twin Fusion Red
1,268 Posts
After a relatively brief 3ish-month wait, our XC40 Recharge Ultimate just arrived here in California! This is the first brand new car I've picked up in over a decade, and for the most part, it is meeting or exceeding my obsessively researched expectations.

We went with the Sage Green colorway in the Ultimate trim, and were able to add the pixel headlights which look outstanding. I have no idea if they're actually offering that much functionality, but they look phenomenal so that works for me for now. We were torn between Fjord Blue and Sage Green but went with the green for something a little less common and something that wouldn't show dirt too well, as we're trying to be drought-friendly by washing the car more infrequently. It's really a beautiful color and we're thrilled with our choice. For the interior, we chose the charcoal fusion microtech vinyl, as it just seemed the most durable and easy to clean compared to the fabric and suede options (even though it's considered the "low end" choice from the core model). Dunno if that'll pan out, but it feels very nice and compares favorably to the sensatec interior of our X3. So far so good!

The main interior drawback comes with the topographic light panel. As many folks have pointed out, the lighting causes a loud buzz to come through the speakers which is super annoying during city driving. On the plus (well, plus-ish) side, the buzz remains at a constant volume basically no matter what we do, so when driving on the highway with the stereo cranked up a bit, the buzz can't really be heard and the lighting adds a little fun on boring night time highway drives. Otherwise, we've been happier just leaving the lighting panel off. Hopefully Volvo makes some adjustments to this soon as it is pretty annoying.

Driving dynamics feel really good overall. Obviously the car is a rocketship which provides plenty of juice to accelerate onto a short highway ramp, but for me the tuning of the one-pedal drive mode has been impeccable. I have yet to put my foot on the brake pedal other than to start the car, and somehow being able to just tune the speed up and down with one foot has given me a very organic feeling of control when driving. The firm steering has helped the car feel a bit more responsive to me, but overall the handling has been good and I haven't felt the weight of the vehicle too much when steering or taking steep hill climbs. Where I have definitely felt the weight is in the very very firm suspension feel. Our highways in CA are not all especially well-maintained, and we were definitely getting jostled about a bit more than we're used to. So far, it hasn't been that bad but it's certainly noticeable.

Driver assistance is solid and easy to access. Just hit one button on the steering wheel and the cruise control options come right on. I don't feel a need to fine tune what's available to me too much; I like having the entire system running. Lane assist is good but hugs the lane a bit and feels slightly scary at high speeds. I think it would be more than good enough to get me through a boring commute or a long highway drive. I haven't been overly pestered by having to wiggle the steering wheel as some reviewers had noted.

The driving position is high and feels authoritative. Combined with the good handling and excellent acceleration, I feel very confident behind the wheel of this car. Visibility is generally very good all around the vehicle, with the slight exception of the cuts in the rear side windows though honestly it's not too bad. Cameras are good but a little more lighting for the backup camera would be helpful at nigh, and I certainly miss having a side-by-side backup and 360 view simultaneously. The car has generally been pretty smart in auto-selecting 360 or backup cameras for the right situations though.

Speaking of the smartness of the car, I know a lot of folks aren't too enthralled with the Android Automotive system but I've really liked it so far. I was unable to use the QR code to add my account, but once I added it, using the car has been great. I already use Pocket Casts for all my podcasts and it's been wonderful to (mostly) pick up a podcast where I left it off between the car and my phone. I say mostly because there can be a 5-10 minute lag which is annoying but not insurmountable. Pairing users to keys was very easy and hugely appreciated as my wife and I not only have different seating needs but also very different opinions as to which locking, power, and driving mode settings we prefer. Compared to the X3, the Volvo does a much better job figuring out which key is being used by the driver when we are both in the car. I am using the care key for myself because orange, though I wish we could get some other case colours and also that the car came with three keys (two normal and one care key) as opposed to just one normal key and one care key. I suppose that, as cost cutting or chip reduction efforts go, I'd rather lose a key than lose Bluetooth.

I have yet to miss having Android Auto on the car. Everything I need is available built-in, though that's mostly because I am all about Pocket Casts and Youtube Music. It's also been fun watching TV via the Tubi app when parked. The system that reads my texts is a bit weird, as it keeps reading out phone numbers (even for saved contacts) as ("plus one billion, eight hundred million, etc) which is super annoying. Lacking physical buttons does make the interface a bit challenging when driving, but I've been able to use voice control for basically everything: all climate controls, navigation of course, choosing media to play, making calls, and even stuff like turning one-pedal driving on and off. It's good and pretty responsive. Let's see how it all develops. I did have one moment where none of my media would play (but the sound was working for calls and Google Assistant) where I had to restart the car. Weird feeling to have to turn the car off and on again like it's a fussy computer on wheels, which I suppose it is at this point.

Finally, the range. I've been driving mixed highway and city, including a few "acceleration tests" and running the climate pretty solidly due to some cold temps at night. The car was at about 95% from the dealership, and was down to 92% after I finished setting my accounts up at the dealer parking lot. Since then, I've driven about 130 miles and have spent about an hour or so of extra time sitting in the car playing with settings or watching Tubi shows while I wait for my partner to grab something, and the battery is down to 30%. Overall this would put my total range somewhere north of 200 miles and that's with all the first-week fussing going on. Our maximum daily commute would be about 80 miles (my partner and I both work at multiple sites during the week) and I don't anticipate us having any range anxiety. We have a few free charging options near work, and anticipate charging at home on our 240v outlet relatively sparingly. Nice that Volvo is including cables to make that easy!

So far, it seems like this car will be a perfect second vehicle for our family. I appreciate that it looks lovely but also nondescript, and it's comfortable while still feeling utilitarian. Loving the little touches like the grocery hooks in the back and the divider which allowed me to do a dry cleaning and grocery run while keeping everything nice and separate. Now all I have to do is navigate the whole transition here in California from the paper dealer plates to metal plates to getting EV stickers so we can get onto those HOV lanes before the whole thing expires in 2025!

Looking forward to participating more in this community as a fellow XC40 owner. Only a few days in, but Dolores (yeah it's a Seinfeld meta-joke) is feeling like a great fit for our needs so far.
Thanks for the great review. With respect to the key fobs, you can buy replacement "shells" for them. The original shells just unclip and you put the new ones on. Try AliExpress...they're all made in China and some are probably made in the same factory that the Volvo original ones are made in...just look at the pics and reviews to determine quality. Also, did the dealer show you that there is an emergency back-up metal key inside the fob? Handy to know, but sounds like you've been doing a lot of research so you've probably read about that on this forum already. Be sure to post some pics when you have a chance! Hello from Down Under from an ex-Californian. :)

·
Registered
38 Posts
Omg lucky you. I didn't notice a thing at first but now it's all I can hear when the topographic lighting is on. It's a shame!
I'm with you on the experience with the buzzing as well. I called and let the dealership know just in case an update or fix does get posted so that I can hopefully be notified.

Outside of that, really loving how it drives (and the wool interior)!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts