Volvo XC40 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

· Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does the 22 have pilot assist on the ultimate package? It’s not on the website. Has it been deleted due to the “chip shortage”?

it’s different than lane keep assist, right?Would be my 1st Volvo since 93, and things have changed

· Registered
2022 XC 40 Recharge Twin Plus, Denim Blue
48 Posts
My local dealers (CA) don’t even show any Ultimates available to order, so I can’t see for myself. But whenever I’ve looked in the past, the Ultimate did have pilot assist. (In fact, I wanted Ultimate for this reason, but couldn’t get my hands on one, so was stuck with a Plus.)

And yes, Pilot Assist is different from lane assist, which comes on the Plus as well. The basic breakdown is:
Lane Assist: keeps you from veering out of the lane, but doesn’t keep you centered in the lane. Some find this annoying, since you have to fight it a little when changing lanes, but in my experience that goes away if you use your turn signal like a good citizen.
Pilot Assist: adaptive cruise control and more active lane following (though some have commented in these forums that it may hug one line rather than being centered).

I wouldn’t be surprised if they degraded what comes with the Ultimate because of the chip shortage. Hopefully the price is adjusted to reflect the missing feature, or you should just get the Plus instead.

· Registered
83 Posts
My local dealers (CA) don’t even show any Ultimates available to order, so I can’t see for myself. But whenever I’ve looked in the past, the Ultimate did have pilot assist. (In fact, I wanted Ultimate for this reason, but couldn’t get my hands on one, so was stuck with a Plus.)

And yes, Pilot Assist is different from lane assist, which comes on the Plus as well. The basic breakdown is:
Lane Assist: keeps you from veering out of the lane, but doesn’t keep you centered in the lane. Some find this annoying, since you have to fight it a little when changing lanes, but in my experience that goes away if you use your turn signal like a good citizen.
Pilot Assist: adaptive cruise control and more active lane following (though some have commented in these forums that it may hug one line rather than being centered).

I wouldn’t be surprised if they degraded what comes with the Ultimate because of the chip shortage. Hopefully the price is adjusted to reflect the missing feature, or you should just get the Plus instead.
Turn signals on pilot assist stop the fighting so I'd assume it does as well for lane assist...which means you maybe just admitted to being a naughty lane changer? LOL

· Registered
83 Posts
Ultimate has pilot assist. It used to be selectable (adaptive cruise with or without steering assist) with buttons on the steering wheel. Now steering assist is selectable in a menu on the display in the center stack.
This does still annoy me personally.....we now have THREE dead buttons on the starting wheel.

· Registered
316 Posts
This does still annoy me personally.....we now have THREE dead buttons on the starting wheel.
I detest dead buttons. My parents were (are) very frugal (my mom's word translated as cheap) when the t comes to cars. There were so many dead buttons on the 88 Corolla wagon that I grew up with and drove off and on for a few years. If there is no a button it should do something otherwise it is mocking you every time in you look at it. "Could've spent another hundred dollars and then I would actually do something you cheapskate." Stripper model was what it was, and by stripper I'm not talking about girls named Candy, Bambi or Cinnamon who like to take their clothes off.

· Registered
2022 XC 40 Recharge Twin Plus, Denim Blue
48 Posts
Interesting: I looked at an Ultimate available out of White Plains, NY, and it shows adaptive cruise control but NOT Pilot Assist. This car also still had the lane assist.

I’ll give in to unjustified speculation that either (a) there’s a chip shortage that affects auto-steering but not adaptive cruise control and lane assist, or (b) Volvo isn’t super confident in its auto-steering software and is not officially advertising that as a capability for now?

(b) would be a refreshing alternative to Tesla’s approach. And it jibes with some comments in this forum about auto-steering not working so well. I don’t have it on my car so I have no assessment of my own to make here.

I wonder if someone takes delivery of such a car, whether the auto-steering option would even appear in the settings like for early Ultimate editions that have Pilot Assist. We may have to wait a few weeks for this to be answered.

· Registered
2022 XC40 Recharge
416 Posts
You must have selected pilot assist on from the center entertainment screen first under driver category
Yes, I did select it from the center screen. But, the discussion was can you turn it on/off from the steering wheel. Yes, you can.

· Registered
784 Posts
Yes, I did select it from the center screen. But, the discussion was can you turn it on/off from the steering wheel. Yes, you can.
Correct - but you can not just have Pilot assist turned off and adaptive cruise control remain on with those left hand steering will buttons - which was an option about 6 months ago after which Volvo had a software update to remove that option - most people want to have the ability to toggle between ACC and pilot Assist using the arrow buttons on the left as it was 6 months ago.

· Registered
514 Posts
Correct - but you can not just have Pilot assist turned off and adaptive cruise control remain on with those left hand steering will buttons - which was an option about 6 months ago after which Volvo had a software update to remove that option - most people want to have the ability to toggle between ACC and pilot Assist using the arrow buttons on the left as it was 6 months ago.
I agree. For most of my driving, I want Pilot Assist off, but there are times I would want it on. However, I’m not going through the 5 screens to get to that setting to turn Pilot Assist on. I’ll just leave it off and call it a day.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.