Volvo XC40 Forum banner
381 - 400 of 412 Posts

·
Registered
637 Posts
I am beginning to think I don't want the software update this week. All my issues are VOC pairing and then mechanical stuff. What was Volvo thinking to hook up with Google at this point on an unproven OS. I get it, they are small, but when you look at all the automotive arms of Gheely they could have developed a Gheely wide base OS that they skin for each brand.

Got the software update at the dealership today, did a full factory reset, uninstalled the app from my phone, went through everything from step 1 and still all I see is — for state of charge.

Don’t know what else to do or can be done.
Make sure the dealer is logging every issue and start researching your state's lemon law. Most states it just has to be out of service for 30 days over a 2 year period. I am going in with several issues this week. I will keep copies of every repair sheet they give me and be sure to log everything and if what they say was the issue does not line up I will be complaining. Things lie SOC and blank instrument clusters I would be stressing are safety related even if they do not agree. Also at some point start logging complaints with NHTSA as the more of us that do for common problems will force Volvo's hand. Look at the Bolts Chevy is buying back right now.

Also start logging complaints with Volvo Corporate.

Reactions: Cuelaw57

·
Registered
242 Posts
Got the software update at the dealership today, did a full factory reset, uninstalled the app from my phone, went through everything from step 1 and still all I see is — for state of charge.

Don’t know what else to do or can be done.
It takes 24 - 36 hours for the data to populate after you have set up the app.

·
Registered
2021 XC40 P8 - Bursting Blue
234 Posts
I'm not sure this is true. As I see it, there has to be some ongoing small information exchange in real time. There's not really anything to populate, other than some login process. I believe that when you load the app, it's reaching out to the car via it's cellular modem. If the car doesn't respond, and that seems to be a lot of the time, you get nothing in the app.

I believe Volvo mainly needs to solve it's spotty networking so that the car doesn't get lost on the information highway so often.

Buuutttt .. that's my opinion as a software engineer and nothing more.

I was actually working with an industrial panel pc with a cell modem built in today. It was simply not stable, still isn't. But the computer is meant to be out in open air in a field, not stuck in a metal warehouse with many steel racks surrounding it. Hopefully it's just stuck in a spot where the connection is weak. I need to figure out how to quwery for the modem's "bars". (It's running Linux in server mode, no shiny GUI). I digress.... 🙄

·
Registered
974 Posts
For some people it takes a day or 2 to populate. Others it’s instant and for others it just does not work.

In other words it is as stated by Volvo not ready for use.

·
Registered
262 Posts
For some people it takes a day or 2 to populate. Others it’s instant and for others it just does not work.

In other words it is as stated by Volvo not ready for use.
Correct that it's not ready for general use. But I also disagree on the "24 - 36 hours to populate" theory. Seems to me more likely that it's simply intermittent - you may have to randomly wait a couple days to observe a successful data exchange between your car & Volvo's servers.

·
Registered
14 Posts
I'm not sure this is true. As I see it, there has to be some ongoing small information exchange in real time. There's not really anything to populate, other than some login process. I believe that when you load the app, it's reaching out to the car via it's cellular modem. If the car doesn't respond, and that seems to be a lot of the time, you get nothing in the app.
Someone "in the know" can correct me if I'm wrong but I don't believe that the app ever communicates directly with the car, even when they're within "earshot" of each other. I believe the car connects to a Volvo portal to upload its status and to respond to any pending requests from the app, such as preconditioning. I believe the app connects to the same Volvo portal to retrieve the car's status and to send any commands to the car. If either the car or the app is having difficulty connecting to the portal, or if the portal itself is having problems, then the displayed data may be missing or incomplete and the car may not respond to requests. That may explain why some people have more issues than others depending on how reliable their connections are.

·
Registered
262 Posts
Someone "in the know" can correct me if I'm wrong but I don't believe that the app ever communicates directly with the car, even when they're within "earshot" of each other.
That's what I thought initially, but the app clearly shows a BLUETOOTH connection when you're within range of the car. So maybe both - connect to Volvo's servers AND/OR directly to your car?

·
Registered
262 Posts
I think the Bluetooth is just the phone connection, for hands-free and streaming. I don't believe that connection is used by the app.
Maybe, but this is the VOC app's own Bluetooth icon - not the phone's OS icon. Must be there for some reason. I'm thinking BT might allow the VOC app to control the car in areas without cellular service (albeit at a limited range from the car). Alternatively, the BT might just signal proximity to the car, and enable/disable certain VOC features? Just guessing.

EDIT: another thought - maybe in the future when the car's wi-fi hotspot is enabled, the VOC app could use Bluetooth to find & login to your car's wifi without typing credentials (wi-fi provisioning over BT).

·
Registered
2021 XC40 P8, Sage Green named Viktor
22 Posts
That's what I thought initially, but the app clearly shows a BLUETOOTH connection when you're within range of the car. So maybe both - connect to Volvo's servers AND/OR directly to your car?
It makes sense to design the system so that the api portal that the app talks to or the car's server would be able to relay the same data to the app and transition seamlessly when either connections are available, although Bluetooth maybe more reliable considering network lag and internet reliability.
As a software architect, I'm definitely curious about their connected car api and why the app is so unreliable but haven't even been able to pair the car yet so I'm just looking at the api definition for now, until I can do more with it 😀

·
Registered
2021 White XC40 Recharge P8
162 Posts
I took a risk and installed the public beta of iOS 15. The Volvo Car app still works. Surprising. (Shouldn’t be, but it is.)

·
Registered
4 Posts
My Volvo XC 40 Recharge, at ~580 miles AC stopped working. And on the way to the Volvo dealer to fix the AC, this is what happened. Volvo XC40 Recharge, just shut down and restarted in the middle of driving. This car cannot be safe. At ~80 miles infotainment system got stuck in reloading screen and got reset to factory default and lost driver side navigation view. At~120 miles stuck in “Guest profile” and requires full reload of Software. At ~580 miles AC stopped working. At~640 miles, looks like June update happen to car and YouTube music and few other apps stop working. At ~740 miles just shut down and restarted in middle of driving.

Video to XC40 Recharge shutting down in middle of driving

·
Registered
974 Posts
My Volvo XC 40 Recharge, at ~580 miles AC stopped working. And on the way to the Volvo dealer to fix the AC, this is what happened. Volvo XC40 Recharge, just shut down and restarted in the middle of driving. This car cannot be safe. At ~80 miles infotainment system got stuck in reloading screen and got reset to factory default and lost driver side navigation view. At~120 miles stuck in “Guest profile” and requires full reload of Software. At ~580 miles AC stopped working. At~640 miles, looks like June update happen to car and YouTube music and few other apps stop working. At ~740 miles just shut down and restarted in middle of driving.

Video to XC40 Recharge shutting down in middle of driving
orry you have had some frustrations.

The console crashing is not unsafe. I have reset mine whilst driving before. Car keeps going fine. You only loose cosmetic features (and ac). Car continues to swoosh a long.

I am assuming you mean the center console stopped and not the car. There was a car shut down issue (which is why we had a delay in receiving the cars) but not since then.

If your ac fails need to take her in. There seems to be a few things that can cause an ac problem. (Which makes sense as it is a complex system).

If your console crashes regularly (in 1200 miles mine has crashed twice) then you need to get the IHU replaced.

goof luck

·
Registered
637 Posts
Did the entire car shot down a new restart or just infotainment? Seems Volvo is aware of this as they seem to be more readily replacing IHU for these issues. YouTube Music app as sucked on the P8. When it works shuffle does not work right and it seems limited to 100 or less songs in a playlist. I spent the weekend using FreeYourMusic.com (even bought it for $9) to convert my YouTubeMusic playlists to Spotify and now use my free Spotify account in the P8 and it works perfect.

This is my concern with Google OS for the car, they can’t get their own app to work on their own OS, what chance do we have?

·
Registered
4 Posts
orry you have had some frustrations.

The console crashing is not unsafe. I have reset mine whilst driving before. Car keeps going fine. You only loose cosmetic features (and ac). Car continues to swoosh a long.

I am assuming you mean the center console stopped and not the car. There was a car shut down issue (which is why we had a delay in receiving the cars) but not since then.

If your ac fails need to take her in. There seems to be a few things that can cause an ac problem. (Which makes sense as it is a complex system).

If your console crashes regularly (in 1200 miles mine has crashed twice) then you need to get the IHU replaced.

goof luck
Did the entire car shot down a new restart or just infotainment? Seems Volvo is aware of this as they seem to be more readily replacing IHU for these issues. YouTube Music app as sucked on the P8. When it works shuffle does not work right and it seems limited to 100 or less songs in a playlist. I spent the weekend using FreeYourMusic.com (even bought it for $9) to convert my YouTubeMusic playlists to Spotify and now use my free Spotify account in the P8 and it works perfect.

This is my concern with Google OS for the car, they can’t get their own app to work on their own OS, what chance do we have?
Pilot assist got reset after reboot, and car wasn't accelerates when this happened. Issue is if I was driving in middle of freeway and had the pilot assist got reset- this could cause problem- accidents.

·
Registered
974 Posts
Pilot assist got reset after reboot, and car wasn't accelerates when this happened. Issue is if I was driving in middle of freeway and had the pilot assist got reset- this could cause problem- accidents.
aah the pilot assist getting switched off would be a safety issue. I did not realize a console reboot did that. I will test that out on an empty road soon :)

·
Registered
637 Posts
I would think pilot assist would be in the critical systems OS not the normal infotainment section.

Reactions: shawkinaw

·
Registered
974 Posts
I would think pilot assist would be in the critical systems OS not the normal infotainment section.
Luckily we do not have to think about this one as we can test it out :)

·
Registered
24 Posts
This happened to my P8 on the way home the other day. Everything was working fine, when all of a sudden the center console and driver display (map portion only) displayed a nice pink "blob". Since I read about this here, I just immediately held down the home button for 20s to reset it while still driving (driving didn't seem impacted ... wasn't using pilot assist). It reset itself as expected and resumed AC and the bluetooth song I had on at the time like nothing happened. The only thing I noted during the reset that I thought was slightly interesting was the blind spot indicators flashed on/off once during the reset.

·
Registered
974 Posts
Console crashes happen. Too many and you need to get your IHU replaced.

Reactions: He Keith
381 - 400 of 412 Posts