Volvo XC40 Forum banner
341 - 360 of 423 Posts

·
Registered
274 Posts
now my VOC is GONE ! SOC status gone …
What specifically do you mean by "VOC is GONE!". Just that you're not seeing SOC any more? Or something worse?

SOC and Climate have always just worked intermittently for me (and others here). Occasionally they "just work" but usually not. Their VOC infrastructure simply isn't reliable yet.

Also check to make sure they didn't "reset" things, like disconnecting your Volvo account from the car (Settings -> Profiles -> Accounts, I think).

·
Registered
541 Posts
What specifically do you mean by "VOC is GONE!". Just that you're not seeing SOC any more? Or something worse?

SOC and Climate have always just worked intermittently for me (and others here). Occasionally they "just work" but usually not. Their VOC infrastructure simply isn't reliable yet.

Also check to make sure they didn't "reset" things, like disconnecting your Volvo account from the car (Settings -> Profiles -> Accounts, I think).
In all fairness, to clarify, the SOC gone, the lock/unlock and temperature all greyed out. So crossing fingers it’s just an intermittent issue. Since it had started working , it was working daily ….hope it was just a coincidence and not due to anyone messing with it there (I’d learned my P8 was the first at their Service dept so they’re very curious and “careful” since they admitted they don’t have a track record of hands on experience or knowledge yet)

·
Registered
46 Posts
I do not think you can tell the latest update or software version from that screen print you showed. We were on a chat months ago on this forum and asked that same question, and we had a chat member who worked with Volvo, and he said you can not see the updates or version from that screen. And that the March date represented something else.

·
Registered
541 Posts
I do not think you can tell the latest update or software version from that screen print you showed. We were on a chat months ago on this forum and asked that same question, and we had a chat member who worked with Volvo, and he said you can not see the updates or version from that screen. And that the March date represented something else.
Good to know -- I'll have to settle for anything that says "March" on it. I got a snapshot of early owners where it was "Jan" on it. I'd hate to think that my Tech was just saying "oh we updated the software today..." just because I'd asked WHY there was still a HUGE RED RECALL message on my VIN (Tech assured me all historical work done and/or any Recalls are directly linked by VIN).

·
Registered
274 Posts
That's a good point, but unfortunately it's all we've got. Your car's "software version" isn't a single number. The reality is WAY more complex than can be shown on a simpler user-facing screen.

I read a recent article by Volvo's head software-quality researcher - who said there are over 120 different computer systems (ECUs) in a modern Volvo. Each of which has its own software module. And each software module has multiple variations for customer options, national/state safety regulations, and of course different QA versions/updates. It's kind of mind-blowing to think that two apparently "identical" cars might never actually have the same set of software. The actual software config is unique to each VIN.

Here's my best guess what I think the System->About screen actually shows us:

1) the actual AAOS (Android) version, build number, and security patch level installed.
2) the most recent "bundle" or "roll-up" of infotainment software and ECU updates that were installed together, the .QAB thing. Either installed by a Volvo tech, or by the user via OTA (which we haven't seen yet).

In addition to these bundled "roll-ups", I'm pretty sure dealer techs can directly install software updates for ECUs individually. And I don't think that would change the "roll-up" build number displayed.

·
Registered
46 Posts
I've finally succeeded in getting Volvo to open a case with their tech department regarding the "Could Not Load Devices" error. Will keep everyone posted as I know there are a few of us here getting this error.
OK so I got a call from my local dealer who was notified by Volvo of my case. He said even though I was just in for this software update we've all been talking about (the March 18th) one... there was a service bulletin update that did not get completed that will connect the VOC app to the car. I'm set to go in next Thursday morning, so will update with more info on that. For now, this is what the service detail says:

"COMPLETE TECH JOURNAL 33953 IN ORDER TO GET THE MOBILE APP PROPERLY PAIRED TO THE CAR."

·
Registered
29 Posts
Wanted to share some good news with the group. I have had problem previously with pairing my iPhone 10+ to VOC. After getting the latest update from the dealer, it now pairs properly. It didn't initially work with my existing profile. I have had to do a factory reset to wipe everything out, then the pairing worked. (Factory reset did not help on previous SW version). Here's the SW version screen. Will report back on stability of the connectivity (LTE, WiFi) and GPS in a couple of weeks but so far everything appears to be working.

·
Registered
1,003 Posts
Nice that is good news. And hopefully means the group of people who it will work for has increased. If only it meant it will work for almost everyone … which I am pretty sure it will not or they would be singing and dancing about the success ( or in a very Swedish non American way telling us as part of a bullet list ).

FYI I heart bullet lists and use them when ever I can so no offense meant :)

·
Registered
29 Posts
Oh, one more peculiar thing of interest. The service dept asked me to see if the instrument display will reset itself in the next 15km of driving and if it does, take a video of it. I said WHAT !!! It seems this update may not have fixed the instrument display issues. They sure don't inspire confidence. LoL

·
Registered
541 Posts
Oh, one more peculiar thing of interest. The service dept asked me to see if the instrument display will reset itself in the next 15km of driving and if it does, take a video of it. I said WHAT !!! It seems this update may not have fixed the instrument display issues. They sure don't inspire confidence. LoL
Interesting…I’ve driven over 150 miles since the update, so far so good…..

·
Registered
1,003 Posts
How would a picture of it crashing help them? Surely the words “it crashed again” would be enough. And why in the next 15 miles … that is very specific

·
Registered
1,003 Posts
Best vehicle advertisement ever and it’s by Volvo.

·
Registered
29 Posts
How would a picture of it crashing help them? Surely the words “it crashed again” would be enough. And why in the next 15 miles … that is very specific
It sure sounds like they don't know the root cause(s) of the issues and they have no idea of how to track them down. I've got to believe that the Volvo sw/QA engineers are not very competent.

·
Registered
1,003 Posts
Having worked on some large software projects and thinking about the complexity of so many different hardware pieces talking and working together with various levels of mechanical stressors going on and many different teams (volvo, google, plus each bit of hardwares drivers and or micro code) I would not say they software engineers are incompetent.

Even the best engineer / engineering team can only cope with a limited amount of chaos/complexity with the added fun of time pressure and lack of information.

We have all individually experienced many things with our new P8s. Each is a data point on a N-dimensional surface and yet we ( or I should say I ) have not shared Any of these with Volvo. So for the engineering team to fix things that are not even getting reported would be hard.

Alas the main interface between Volvo and our P8s are volvo dealerships and the sales teams at least in my experience has been awful.

I expect things will settle down. Some parts will get replaced. Others will start to work properly with updates and one day we will consider the P8 2021 as a whole as a stable car. Today is not that day :)

·
Registered
2021 XC40 P8, Sage Green named Viktor
24 Posts
Got my vehicle back from service yesterday, they replaced an "antenna" and did the April sw update. Everything looked OK and I was so excited until the salesman tried to pair VOC, we had all 3 keys in the car and it wouldn't recognize that all of them were present, he then tried a modem reset which caused LTE to be down completely once again. This morning LTE is back so I tried to pair it again but still it still can't recognize any of the keys, anyone encountered this before ?
20210624_230643.jpg

·
Registered
1,003 Posts
Not had that problem but try the following

1. make sure you can identify which key is which
2. Leave all but 1 key a long way from car. Approach with this one key see if it lets you in and drive.
3. lock walk out of range and try with next key

goal is to make sure all 3 keys work

·
Registered
24 Posts
Not had that problem but try the following

1. make sure you can identify which key is which
2. Leave all but 1 key a long way from car. Approach with this one key see if it lets you in and drive.
3. lock walk out of range and try with next key

goal is to make sure all 3 keys work
Thank you. Just tried that, all 3 worked fine

·
Registered
88 Posts
For those experiencing lte issues, i suggest using the Bluetooth tethering, which new with the latest update. So far it works great.

·
Registered
1,003 Posts
Oh I missed the 0 in the graphics. Some how none of the keys are bound to the car at the voc lvl.

On the upside as I keep writing voc is not actually meant to work yet and we agreed to have our cars without it. Okay that was an odd upside :p

·
Registered
24 Posts
Oh I missed the 0 in the graphics. Some how none of the keys are bound to the car at the voc lvl.

On the upside as I keep writing voc is not actually meant to work yet and we agreed to have our cars without it. Okay that was an odd upside :p
True, the joys of being a beta tester :D. Guess I'll just have to wait for now, voc-less

341 - 360 of 423 Posts