Volvo XC40 Forum banner

2021 Xc40 Recharge Volvo on Call Install

62K views 471 replies 63 participants last post by  BeLow 
#1 ·
Just spoke with Volvo customer service, they said the Volvo on call activation software update wont happen till at least 3rd quarter 2021.
My dealer and sales person have no clue to what's going on and sold me vehicle promising all features were available.
Very disappointed. But...xc40 recharge does ride beautifully and looks great.

#2 ·
#3 ·
In North America, SW to enable provisioning of the Volvo On Call app should be available at your Retailer next week (week of April 25).
The Volvo on call app will have limited functionality, including:a
Device management
Lock/unlock
Climate direct start
Battery State of Charge level

Later in the year, more functionality will be added to the Volvo on Call app:
Climate timers
Push notifications
Charging control
OTA status/control
Car locator
Journal log

#4 ·
In North America, SW to enable provisioning of the Volvo On Call app should be available at your Retailer next week (week of April 25).
The Volvo on call app will have limited functionality, including:a
Device management
Lock/unlock
Climate direct start
Battery State of Charge level

Later in the year, more functionality will be added to the Volvo on Call app:
Climate timers
Push notifications
Charging control
OTA status/control
Car locator
Journal log
Good News - so will the dealer call existing owners or to owners have to call the dealer to make an appointment?

#9 ·
I'm supposed to get it back after work tomorrow. I doubt they'll actually have the new software but I'm giving them a chance. It's kind of depressing that these guys don't know much about these vehicles.

You can bet I'll let you guys know what happens either way. In the meantime they have me an S60 T5 to drive. I miss my XC's height and speed.

#10 ·
Software should be ready. Issue is with the iOS (apple) version of the VOC app, that will likely be released middle of next week. You should be able to provision the VOC app to the car then, ensure that all three keys are present when doing so.

#17 ·
Hey Chris-- Thanks for being available for all these queries. A question I have relates to charging settings. I know we are supposed to set for 48 amps on the central screen settings. Do we also have to set for KW? I don't yet have the car, but have the ChargePoint wall charger, which is hard wired to a 50 amp circuit, where ChargePoint steps it down to allow for a max of 40 amps. Will the max of 11 KW be okay, or should it be more like 10 KW?

#18 ·
The only settings are for battery charge level (should be 90%) and amperage (typically set to the max of 48 amps). There is no KW setting. The onboard charger will automatically adjust accordingly.

Reactions: westmo
#19 ·
Android app update arrived for me today. I put in the VIN and it tells me I need the software update. Does this REALLY require a full service appointment? (sigh)

#24 ·
We’ll I got the software update via the dealership yesterday. VOC wouldn’t set up yesterday but I noticed today the phone app got an update so after getting it to install… it works! Sorta. We’ll ok not at all. You can log in but nothing syncs with the car. So it’s basically still broken. Either that or I somehow didn’t do it right. Anyone else get it working?

#30 ·
I tried plugging my phone into the necessary port, and all I get is power. Doesn’t even prompt for that initial permissions/setup screen on sending the phone to the display. I don’t even know how wireless will work - never had a car that could do that before - and I couldn’t find anything in any setting that indicated support yet.

#33 ·
I just got back from the dealer and got the software update (March 18 Kernel version for the infotainment system). iPhone 12 now charges properly on the wireless charging pad. I can now pair the car with Volvo On Call app on iPhone. The app doesn't properly show battery levels and I can't unlock the car with the phone app, but others have reported that it takes a day for things to get synced up.

#34 ·
I have the exact same software version, but I get a message stating that it isn’t available yet. I wonder what the difference is. I checked the app version and I’m on 4.13.3 (ios, updated 2 days ago). Could be something on the phone side is missing to make this work. 🤷‍♂️

#35 ·
I got that message at first, but then got through it to pair the car. Try quitting out of the app and then going back in. Also, you need to do pair the phone while you are in the car, with at least one key (I had all three...)

I have the exact same software version, but I get a message stating that it isn’t available yet. I wonder what the difference is. I checked the app version and I’m on 4.13.3 (ios, updated 2 days ago).

#37 ·
Tried it with all three keys and force restarting the app. No go. I get the same message about not being able to pair. I’ll give it a shot every now and then as I wait for something, but until we can schedule the charging I’m not too concerned about it. Thanks for all the pointers though.

#38 ·
A question for Chris Dauerer or others in the know.

Is it necessary to get the car to pair with the On Call app to get future OTA updates?

I did note that there are three permissions that have to be granted in the profile section in order to allow Volvo to communicate with the App.

They include information on collision impact, car charging status and black box information.

#39 ·
A question for Chris Dauerer or others in the know.

Is it necessary to get the car to pair with the On Call app to get future OTA updates?

I did note that there are three permissions that have to be granted in the profile section in order to allow Volvo to communicate with the App.

They include information on collision impact, car charging status and black box information.
No, OTA functionality does not require that the Volvo On Call app be provisioned to the car. Once OTA is turned on in the US, it will function on all cars in which the owner has granted permission.

Reactions: westmo and Cuelaw57
#42 ·
On call app started showing charge status and lock/unlock does work. It took three days.

Of interest, the car does show up in Google Play as a linked device. However, when trying to get apps like Sirius XM to install, it states the device is incompatible with the app.

#43 ·
When I use the On Call app, I can lock and unlock the doors immediately, but the charge level on battery only updates about once per day. As I drive and drain the battery throughout the day, the On Call app doesn't update the charge level - shows what the battery level was in the morning. And then updates overnight somehow. Are others seeing this behavior?

#45 ·
The Volvo On Call app is being updated every day. The team is hard at work on a set of clear instructions to assist both Retailers and Customers, but it is not ready yet, hopefully next week. Some people have tried and been successful, but not all. Please be patient, this release is an "early release" with limited functionality. More stability and functionality is expected during the week of June 13.

#46 ·
I find the app works about 15% of the time. Today I used it to turn on the climate control before getting in the car - it told me it would take 30 minutes to cool down the car after sitting in the sun all day.

#49 ·
I agree that the app works about 15% of the time - folks from Volvo indicated that it's not really functional at this point. I have experience odd behavior a couple of times. I try to lock / unlock the car from the phone app. Next time I get back in the car, it has turned off One Pedal Driving and turned on steering wheel and seat heating!!! Very strange. Got to go through my other settings to see if anything else changed.

#50 ·
As an XC40 n00b, but an EV veteran, I’m digging deeper into this. My wife picks up her XC40 Recharge on Friday in 6 days. I’d like to make sure she has latest S/W installed for max enjoyment (coming from a Tesla). With that said— where does one go to look re: software kernel/update? I’ll surely be asking Volvo dealer to make sure its updated, too.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.