Volvo XC40 Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2021 XC40 Recharge P8
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Volvo Canada has told us we have 3 months of no cost internet or 3 GB of data - whichever comes first. After that we can sign up for a data plan from AT&T, costing at least $200 US a year. I do not like the idea of being locked in with AT&T, so I want to know about other options, like:
  • can I get my own SIM card from the data provider of MY choice, & mount it in the car ?
  • can I use my LG smartphone to provide internet connectivity in the car ?

I like the google apps I have installed for music & AM radio, but I really want some good options for keeping them running when my free 3 months is up.
What is the best way to have internet connectivity in the car without committing to AT&T ?

·
Registered
18 Posts
Interesting I am in the UK and my recently delivered P8 just has a "Fair Use" policy. It is equipped with a sim card slot, however when inserting a valid sim absolutely nothing happens. There are no settings for it or anything. To be honest it seems to be nothing more than a sim card holder :)
I am chasing our dealer at the moment but they don't seem to know anything technical about the car.

·
Registered
2020 XC40 T5 R-Design Polestar Optimization
28 Posts
Volvo Canada has told us we have 3 months of no cost internet or 3 GB of data - whichever comes first. After that we can sign up for a data plan from AT&T, costing at least $200 US a year. I do not like the idea of being locked in with AT&T, so I want to know about other options, like:
  • can I get my own SIM card from the data provider of MY choice, & mount it in the car ?
  • can I use my LG smartphone to provide internet connectivity in the car ?

I like the google apps I have installed for music & AM radio, but I really want some good options for keeping them running when my free 3 months is up.
What is the best way to have internet connectivity in the car without committing to AT&T ?
There seems to be confusion with the P8. What you were told is exactly what was delivered with my T5 R-Design using their Sensus car automation. I believe your car automation is entirely Google? I gather US buyers of a P8 get 4 years of Internet coverage included through AT&T?

The answer to both of your questions is YES.

Once my free Internet expired, I simply contacted Rogers (my carrier) and they sent me a compatible P-SIM with various download plans, starting as low as $10 per month + HST. I did an experiment, removing all P-SIM cards and was still able to use Volvo on Call from my smartphone APP, so my conclusion was that there's another method to at least support VOC.

Regardless, you should have 2 other means to connect your XC40 to the Internet; your home's WiFi or Android Auto via your smartphone's data plan, either through the USB cable or via Bluetooth. I'm not sure how useful Internet is with my XC40. I use several Android Auto programs that can function without a dedicated Internet connection; Sygic GPS and my Amazon Music+ playlist. All data files are stored locally on my smartphone.

For my Rogers P-SIM, there is no contract, I pay monthly and can cancel whenever I wish. They waived an admin startup charge and mailed me my P-SIM at no cost.

I'd be happy to hear from other Canadians who found in-car Internet of benefit. My only observation so far is that Google voice prompts don't always work and I see an "Internet required" prompt on the screen. If it's that critical, I can turn on my P-SIM or smartphone data plan, but these are normally turned off.

Bonne chance

·
Registered
142 Posts
The car is always connected via Google Auto with an included 4 year subscription.
Chris, regarding the Internet connection:

Our P8 in the garage recognizes and logs on to the home WiFi network as I initially power up the car or drive into the garage. But then after some minutes when its parked in the garage, it seems to go to sleep and my router shows no connection with the car anymore.

My question is:

Once the car is parked and asleep in the garage, will it wake up and download incoming system or OS related updates (provided Automatic Downloads setting is ON)? I'm hoping that it does, instead of having to waste resources driving around hoping to attract OTA downloads when they become available! This is the way our Tesla Model 3 always behaved - it accepted system updates even when in "sleep" mode, so I'm hoping Volvo does it too!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts