Volvo XC40 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

· Registered
2,537 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone else notice the steering wheel is difference form 20 to 22. My 21 has perforated leather on the sides and contrast white sticking, my 22 is solid leather and black stitching. Very disappointed in that minor change and yes this is a first world problem.

· Registered
2,537 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
So your 22 has black stitching and no perforated leather as well? I wonder if it is to share same steering wheel with more models.

· Registered
514 Posts
So your 22 has black stitching and no perforated leather as well? I wonder if it is to share same steering wheel with more models.
To be honest….I don’t even know. I’ve only driven it like twice and I haven’t been inside in a while. I’d have to go out and look to be 100% sure, but I think it’s solid black stitching with solid material.

· Registered
2021 XC40 P8 Recharge, Crystal White
6 Posts
I'm currently driving a 2022 loaner XC40 T5 R-Design and it has the black stitching and no perforated leather. Seats are the same with white contrast stitching and white piping on top bolsters.

· Registered
549 Posts
While we're on this subject, it appears the shifter on the 2021 XC40 has white contrast stitching on it while the C40 lacks the stitching. Does the '22 XC40 have the stitched shifter?
I’m fairly confident that the shifter on our ‘21 XC40 is leather. So the lack of white stitching may also be indicative of their step away from leather? Again, speculation.

· Registered
XC40 P8 2021 - Sage Green
163 Posts
That's because Volvo had discarded real leather to switch to "vegan leather" interiors.
In other words, this is made from petrol (PU ✌ leather ✌) instead of animal skin.

"Vegan" interiors .... a subtle mix of greenwashing and marketing blurb...

For the seats, I am happy with my real leather 2021 model but would switch to the beautiful wool seats coming with the facelift.

· Registered
2,537 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I wonder if the stitches are even real then or cosmetic? So the 22 XC40 has no leather in it, what about the seats? As long as it feels like leather I am good. Have barely driven the 22 yet.

· Registered
XC40 P8 2021 - Sage Green
163 Posts
It feels like leather when new. It probably does not age quite as nicely.
To me, they just found a nice wording to make you feel good about it, even though it won't really represent any progress in terms of climate change (I highly doubt these cows were bred solely for making seats anyway ...)

· Registered
2022 XC40 Recharge Twin Glacier Silver
569 Posts
The car I test drove was 21. Did not see any deference. You have more time to observe as you have both cars. There must be certain minor defenses I guess. Seats feels like leather and cleans like a leather. Will see how long the material will last.

· Registered
2,537 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
It feels like leather when new. It probably does not age quite as nicely.
To me, they just found a nice wording to make you feel good about it, even though it won't really represent any progress in terms of climate change (I highly doubt these cows were bred solely for making seats anyway ...)
Yeah, I question this. As long as the cows are being slaughtered for meat the the leather is there. I am pro nail am and lower meat consumption, but in the end if they are not killing the cows just for the leather I prefer the leather. That said I am fine with leather free as well.

· Registered
2022 C40 Recharge
296 Posts
FWIW today’s vegan leather is not exactly the pleather of yesteryear. The C40s interior is Nordico.
Nordico, another new, non-leather material Volvo will be using, consists of textiles made from recycled material such as plastic (PET) bottles, wood remnants from sustainable forests in Sweden and Finland, and corks recycled from the wine industry.

· Registered
2,537 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I need to check with Volvo, but the 22 steering wheel I doubt is leather, it feels different than our 21. 21 feels softer more supple, 22 feels harder and smoother.

· Registered
2,537 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Chatted with Volvo and they said 22 XC40 Recharge is still leather, hyst the steering wheel design changed (i.e., sounded like cost cutting. My guess they cheapened the leather grade they are using. Told them it does not feel like leather and preferred the perforated contrast stitched wheel on the 21. First rule in car interiors is all surfaces you touch need to feel premium to justify a premium car.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.