Volvo XC40 Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Parked my XC40 and started walking away...attempted to lock via the FOB and noticed nothing happened. Got closer, still nothing...opened the door, nothing. Vehicle completely dead. Contact Volvo Support, and walked through troubleshooting - everything they asked me to do required power, and there was none. The called me a tow truck, and the tow truck driver - seeing the car was dead - jump started it, and everything came back to life. I had it towed anyway to the local Volvo dealer in Orlando (purchased new in Tampa) could not recreate the issue, so they applied a recall software upgrade and called us to pick up the vehicle. Oh, they didn't provide me a loaner or even help out with a rental - said that was up to me...luxury brand? But that's all a different story. So, since they could not recreate the issue or let us know what the root cause was, my wife won't drive it anymore...it was her Christmas present. They did pull the diagnostics codes that stated failure due to power failure so something did happen. Anyone experience anything like this? I'd like my Tundra back, so if there's no root cause identified I'm trading it in - on another brand crossover. I can't risk my wife or me being stranded somewhere again.

·
Registered
80 Posts
It sounds like a loose battery cable to me. When they jumped it it made connection again. I would check that the connections are clean and tight, both on the positive connections and grounds. It does not sound like an actual fault in the electrical system as it recorded a power loss - makes the battery or ground connections or possibly the battery the likely culprit.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
It sounds like a loose battery cable to me. When they jumped it it made connection again. I would check that the connections are clean and tight, both on the positive connections and grounds. It does not sound like an actual fault in the electrical system as it recorded a power loss - makes the battery or ground connections or possibly the battery the likely culprit.
I was thinking the same thing, however, that was one of the first things we checked. Battery cables weren’t loose. The battery checked out fine by the Volvo service tech. The vehicle is 3 months old with 3500 miles.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Did they check where the battery ground connections attach to the body and engine or only the connections on the battery itself?

·
Registered
2 Posts
Parked my XC40 and started walking away...attempted to lock via the FOB and noticed nothing happened. Got closer, still nothing...opened the door, nothing. Vehicle completely dead. Contact Volvo Support, and walked through troubleshooting - everything they asked me to do required power, and there was none. The called me a tow truck, and the tow truck driver - seeing the car was dead - jump started it, and everything came back to life. I had it towed anyway to the local Volvo dealer in Orlando (purchased new in Tampa) could not recreate the issue, so they applied a recall software upgrade and called us to pick up the vehicle. Oh, they didn't provide me a loaner or even help out with a rental - said that was up to me...luxury brand? But that's all a different story. So, since they could not recreate the issue or let us know what the root cause was, my wife won't drive it anymore...it was her Christmas present. They did pull the diagnostics codes that stated failure due to power failure so something did happen. Anyone experience anything like this? I'd like my Tundra back, so if there's no root cause identified I'm trading it in - on another brand crossover. I can't risk my wife or me being stranded somewhere again.
I do own an XC40, but the problem you're describing happened to a co-worker of mine this past summer, one day after picking up her new XC60. At first she thought it was user error so she called me to check it out, but it was obviously dead. They towed it and eventually wound up replacing the battery. She felt the issue was was never adequately explained but she hasn't had a problem since then.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I do own an XC40, but the problem you're describing happened to a co-worker of mine this past summer, one day after picking up her new XC60. At first she thought it was user error so she called me to check it out, but it was obviously dead. They towed it and eventually wound up replacing the battery. She felt the issue was was never adequately explained but she hasn't had a problem since then.
I had the dealership where I purchased the XC40 take a look at it. Had it for 3 days and consulted with Volvo. They acknowledge that something happened, and feel a software update addressed the issue. I'm not so certain, and I'm hopeful it does not occur again. Since the tow truck driver's jump start resurrected the vehicle, I'm going to keep a jump start unit charged and in the vehicle.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts