Volvo XC40 Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
For the second time, my A/C went out after a road side rest stop halfway on a 125 mile trip to our cabin.

The first time was about 2 months ago on same trip. Both times temps were over 90 degrees.

I’m participating in a Volvo focus zoom group in an hour and will let them have it!

I also just reached out to Volvo customer relations and requested a new car. I’m now on record and received a reference number so it’s now documented. We shall see!!

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
After 2 days of sitting and charged to 100%, the A/C is working.
So, the issues are charging and outside temperature.

The issues arose after traveling 75 miles in 90 degree heat, and then stopping briefly at a rest stop.
The A/C stopped working. The battery was at about 45% from 100% at that point.

wondering if the heat pump is failing given those temps.

Volvo is requiring me to drop the car off at the dealership, in order to pursue this further with them.

·
Registered
279 Posts
After 2 days of sitting and charged to 100%, the A/C is working.
So, the issues are charging and outside temperature.

The issues arose after traveling 75 miles in 90 degree heat, and then stopping briefly at a rest stop.
The A/C stopped working. The battery was at about 45% from 100% at that point.

wondering if the heat pump is failing given those temps.

Volvo is requiring me to drop the car off at the dealership, in order to pursue this further with them.
We had A/C problems too - intermittent - software update from May did not help - replacement of expansion valve did not fix - finally replaced heat exchanger and a relay and A/C has been working fine now for two months.

·
Registered
40 Posts
My AC was DOA when I took delivery back in May. They replaced the expansion valve and a shutoff valve as well as a "shuttle valve" and "orifice tube" and it only worked intermittently. It sat at the dealership for over a month. When I finally threatened lemon law action, the dealer then offered a full refund or to get me into a replacement. I opted for the replacement. I've been in the new car for 2 weeks now without any issues. I made out in the end but it was a horrible experience. They put me in a P8 demo car as a loaner while my 1st care was with them. They are reimbursing me for the first monthly payment I made on that car as it sat unused. Volvo is also offering me a no-cost warranty extension for 5 years.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Also, I notified Volvo corporate immediately and they were pretty useless. They just kept telling me that they were in contact with my dealer and that I should work with the dealership to resolve any issues.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
yeh, I have a case number now, and will notify them of the solution above. I also let my dealership know too.
Thanks

·
Registered
40 Posts
yeh, I have a case number now, and will notify them of the solution above. I also let my dealership know too.
Thanks
How was the focus group? I assume it was thru the Recharge Drivers Connect site? I wasn't able to make any of the dates work this week.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
At the last minute, I couldn’t make it either.
Hoping there are more dates.

·
Super Moderator
254 Posts
Also, I notified Volvo corporate immediately and they were pretty useless. They just kept telling me that they were in contact with my dealer and that I should work with the dealership to resolve any issues.
This isn't useless. Any manufacturer would require you to work through their dealership who is equipped to assess & repair. With Volvo having reached reached out to the dealer, the service writer will pay attention and will have to report back to Volvo. Although it took a while (seems like everything is on this brand new, first electric model - buyer beware), you got a great resolution based on my experience with other manufacturers.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
True. Once I deliver the car to the dealership, I call Volvo and give them the reference number and that starts the process. They work with them to fix it or replace.

·
Registered
40 Posts
This isn't useless. Any manufacturer would require you to work through their dealership who is equipped to assess & repair. With Volvo having reached reached out to the dealer, the service writer will pay attention and will have to report back to Volvo. Although it took a while (seems like everything is on this brand new, first electric model - buyer beware), you got a great resolution based on my experience with other manufacturers.
Yeah, I guess useless was the wrong word. Non-communicative with me and non-informative are more accurate.

·
Registered
609 Posts
True. Once I deliver the car to the dealership, I call Volvo and give them the reference number and that starts the process. They work with them to fix it or replace.
Please do share the outcome.
Also, might as well take the opportunity to inquire of the extended warranty at no cost like previous owner here.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
The car is at the dealership and Volvo has agreed to replace the relay. Hopefully, this will solve the problem!

·
Registered
968 Posts
Keep things documented, most states have lemon laws around 30 days total out of service or 3-4 attempts to fix the same repair. Keep good records and evidence.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Keep things documented, most states have lemon laws around 30 days total out of service or 3-4 attempts to fix the same repair. Keep good records and evidence.
Got a very nice resolution direct from Volvo corporate:

2 months of lease payments sent as a check to be used for anything. Almost $2K!

·
Registered
968 Posts
Thanks, I fired off another email last night showing that that 1 out 6 days of ownership I have not had use of the car. I am not sure they will do much yet as they gave me $750 in gift cards as part of the TSB for early purchasers.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts