Volvo XC40 Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Firstly, this is a 1st world issue - All my previous cars had somewhat of gunmetal colored rims.
- Has anyone powder coated the chrome-looking rims to other colors ? Any issues doing so ?
The gas T4/T5 have similar shine - so feedback on those would be great !

- Does anyone have the specs of the rims (factory) ? We know it's 19" and 20" rim options (and Front and back tires have different sizes), but does anyone know the weight tolerance of the 19-20" rims given the P8 is about 1,000 lbs heavier than the gas T4/T5

·
Registered
34 Posts
Your question is great. And, I can find no information on the weight tolerance.
I did a little bit of research on the 20 inch rims and tires. The profile on the front tires is more than the rear. And, 20 inch rims are notorious for a slightly rougher ride. But remember. the profile factors in width. And the rear is wider than the front, so the profile height is enough to give a smooth ride.

And, the 20 inch rims with the wider profile give a more stable ride on cornering and acceleration. The MachE and the BMW i3 have narrow tires and a corresponding squirrely handling.

Powder coating is an electrostatic bonding of paint to the metal. It should have zero effect on strength.

As an aside, I think the 20 inch wheels look great.

I have had all black powder coated wheels in the past. The Volvo look terrific as they are. The silver/black highlights fit the car. The 20 inch wheels have a slightly narrower width, 215 front and 225 back, but handles like a roadster on the roads.

I would get the 20 inch wheels and leave them alone.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Your question is great. And, I can find no information on the weight tolerance.
I did a little bit of research on the 20 inch rims and tires. The profile on the front tires is more than the rear. And, 20 inch rims are notorious for a slightly rougher ride. But remember. the profile factors in width. And the rear is wider than the front, so the profile height is enough to give a smooth ride.

And, the 20 inch rims with the wider profile give a more stable ride on cornering and acceleration. The MachE and the BMW i3 have narrow tires and a corresponding squirrely handling.

Powder coating is an electrostatic bonding of paint to the metal. It should have zero effect on strength.

As an aside, I think the 20 inch wheels look great.

I have had all black powder coated wheels in the past. The Volvo look terrific as they are. The silver/black highlights fit the car. The 20 inch wheels have a slightly narrower width, 215 front and 225 back, but handles like a roadster on the roads.

I would get the 20 inch wheels and leave them alone.
Thank you for taking the time to explain, very much helpful! Agree to all above, to your comment re. potential bumpier ride on a 20", that had deterred me to stick with the 19" instead - Although in reality, I'm not a professional or race car driver to tell the difference! As a result, I have to wait for the next batch (apparently the 1st batch hitting the US market is all 20" rims). The pickiness of me on the rims is stemmed from not able to appreciate the shine -- even anything of personal belongings, no blings.

If I can stand it, I would definitely leave it alone.....but if the nagging continues in my head, i'd end up coating it to stick with factory wheels vs. attempting to get new sets not knowing the specs of weight threshold required for the car.

Thank you!

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
May I ask where you learned that? My XC40 Recharge has 19“ rims, and my salesman assures me the car is at the US port awaiting the heat pump fix.
The 1st Volvo Dealer I went to (Crest Volvo - largest in TX) had told me that all the "4 pages" on his list of Recharge hitting the US Ports were 20" inch wheels, and that the 1st batch hitting the US market were all 20". He even showed me his papers, and I did see that all were 20".

BUT again, that's the same Salesguy I ended up cancelling my initial order with given a month of integrity and misinformed info. he was feeding to me. In short, his comment of "all the 20" rims" may not be the case especially if you're getting the 19" !!!

With your info, I'll circle back with my current sales guy (another Dealership) to inquire as well. Mine is coming later in Jun/Jul because I wanted the 19"..... HHmmm.....

1 - 5 of 5 Posts