Volvo XC40 Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
826 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I’ve been reading that some XC60’s tend to have the battery drained when left unplugged so owners are keeping a 12volt lithium starter stored in the car.

I’m aware some XC40s also tend to leave folks stranded from time to time due to a drained 12volt battery.

Anyone knows if it’s safe to use one of those starters on our cars?

I’m planning on getting one for the XC60 just in case but if it works on the XC40 I can just carry it with either car that would be left unplugged for a longer period of time.

·
Registered
66 Posts
No reason you couldn't use it if you had to. It's just a battery and it won't need anywhere near as much current to bring the EV back to life compared to starting an ICE vehicle.

·
Registered
826 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Anyone has any recommendations on which would be a good one to get?

·
Registered
234 Posts
I remember reading another thread about 12V battery issues, in some cases where the battery was drained down to less than 6V, the battery jumper pack would not work, though this is when there is a "real" issue that requires service by the dealer.

If the battery is just under the voltage needed to start the car, the battery jumper pack should work, though I'm not sure this is a problem with the XC40 EV. I remember seeing more threads about an essentially "dead" 12V battery then I see about the 12V battery being marginally under the voltage needed to start the car.

Not saying it's not worth having a battery jumper pack, I have one from my old ICE car that I keep in our XC40, just hoping I never need it as I don't want to jump through all the hoops needed to access the 12V battery.

·
Registered
2021 XC40. P8 Fusion Red
203 Posts
Th only issue with carrying a spare "starter 12v" is access to the existing 12v battery inside the frunk. Keep in mind if your 12v battery dies and you are outside and the car is locked you will need you mechanical key to get into your car to open the frunk. Then you will need tools to open the area where the 12v battery is kept. So if you're that worried, keep the tools and the lithium booster battery also in the frunk. And if you don't know how to access the 12v battery, look on YouTube.

·
Registered
21 XC40 P8
80 Posts
I remember reading another thread about 12V battery issues, in some cases where the battery was drained down to less than 6V, the battery jumper pack would not work, though this is when there is a "real" issue that requires service by the dealer.
While a lot of jump packs don't work if the battery is too low. My Noco GB40 has a mode for jumping a completely dead battery and I has jumped a couple of my ICE cars from 0 volts.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts