Volvo XC40 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My car downloaded the update, and I started the install before work today.
Battery at 75%, everything worked before the update...
Came from work and saw this message. Is there a way to restart the update? If I go to Settings - System - Software Update, I see the same message with no option to re-initiate the update. I don't have time to go to the dealer for this. Call to Volvo On Call was useless - they have no idea what to do...
And to make this even worse, data and GPS connections are lost now! Infotainment reset did not fix the connection, defrost button does not reset anything anymore...
Mobile phone Communication Device Portable communications device Telephony Audio equipment

·
Registered
16 Posts
I had the same connectivity loss Saturday night (hours after buying the car). Reset didn't work, so I left the car locked and unplugged for around ~24 hours, after which it came back.

I noticed there was a "Power off" button under settings, so I'm going to try that if it happens again. I don't hold much hope that I'll get the OTA since the VOC app doesn't connect and instead just shows a grey picture of a car.

·
Registered
2,194 Posts
After big changes such as factory reset or this software or when you first get the car it often seems to need a long sleep to get everything working together. ( so everything can power down and boot up in the correct order?).

Make sure you always lock your car as this seems to have an impact on stability.

It sounds odd but there have consistently been one off bad behaviors fixed by a nap.

Of course there are also bad behaviors which are intermittent and end up being hardware or software so ….

·
Registered
2,194 Posts
Nope! Had it delivered early may, I just got the last update about a month ago.
Thanks for the info. I am playing upgrade chicken ….

Pros (for me)
Greater range
Faster charging (with preconditioning)

Cons(for me)
Introducing problems I do not have as it works perfectly.

Wish there was an undo option. . .

·
Registered
2 Posts
Any of you guys who got the error message try factory resetting the car and then seeing if it lets you try the OTA again? I got the same error and don't want to bring it to a dealer if we can solve it ourselves

·
Registered
2 Posts
My car downloaded the update, and I started the install before work today.
Battery at 75%, everything worked before the update...
Came from work and saw this message. Is there a way to restart the update? If I go to Settings - System - Software Update, I see the same message with no option to re-initiate the update. I don't have time to go to the dealer for this. Call to Volvo On Call was useless - they have no idea what to do...
And to make this even worse, data and GPS connections are lost now! Infotainment reset did not fix the connection, defrost button does not reset anything anymore... View attachment 1529
Update for you folks who are trying to avoid a dealer trip. I got the same error you got but I randomly got a notification from VOC app today that 1.7 was ready to install and when I went into the car under software update, it showed the ability to install now and lock the doors where previously it showed the error message. Hope this may work for you guys but I hope it's Volvo trying to re-push the update for those where the initial update failed to avoid us having to go to the dealer.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thanks fishmarket,

I keep my fingers crossed...
After two days, connectivity miraculously restored itself, both data and GPS - go figure...
I still see the failed update message. The closest appointment at the local dealership is November 19.
Hope that my car will reload the update, and, if it installs, I can avoid the dealer.

·
Registered
2021 Sage Green XC Recharge & 2021 Metallic Silver XC Recharge
20 Posts
Mine failed, of course. I already had an appointment later in the week and my sales rep was going to try to help me get the app to work, which, of course never has worked either. Later that day, in fact late in the evening I received a call from Volvo saying they received a message from my car that the installation had failed. Then the person asked me all the questions, had the car been charged above the directed level, had the doors been locked and so on. All the things had been done correctly. Then he asked me if the car had been immobilized, which of course it hadn’t. Then I was told I better see a dealer. Fast forward to the dealer. Update gets installed without incident. After an hour or so on the phone me, the sales rep, and the Volvo agent the Volvo agent couldn’t do anything to get it working, after almost 4 months the app still won’t work. Then after some searching a new release came in they gave me to try the coming week that might work for the app, maybe, I guess. Then I have to try all this on my other Recharge. At least me wife has her Sirius App now, but I’m still not seeing a lot of the stuff people have been talking about, but they said it might take a few days.

·
Registered
2,194 Posts
Voc app is still not stable. Even a perfect installation which might work in a day May not work when it is installed which making installing it a pita.

I would love to know if Volvo considers it a release now or is it still a “not fully released yet” application.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I got the same "update was not successful" screen when I tried the 1.7 OTA installation. I called using ON CALL, as instructed, and the person was fairly clueless. They told me to call the dealer. The dealer didn't have any service appointments for two weeks. I finally took the car to the dealer this morning for my service appointment. They told me they didn't have anyone who could work on it, and I would need to leave the car there for a week!

Needless to say, I left WITH my car, and hoping to find a different solution.

·
Registered
2,194 Posts
I got the same "update was not successful" screen when I tried the 1.7 OTA installation. I called using ON CALL, as instructed, and the person was fairly clueless. They told me to call the dealer. The dealer didn't have any service appointments for two weeks. I finally took the car to the dealer this morning for my service appointment. They told me they didn't have anyone who could work on it, and I would need to leave the car there for a week!

Needless to say, I left WITH my car, and hoping to find a different solution.
Is the car fully functional and reporting in as the previous build?

·
Registered
2021 XC40 Recharge
16 Posts
Thanks for the info. I am playing upgrade chicken ….

Pros (for me)
Greater range
Faster charging (with preconditioning)

Cons(for me)
Introducing problems I do not have as it works perfectly.

Wish there was an undo option. . .
Ended up taking it to the dealer that weekend, they updated no questions asked. Only took about an hour and a half. I did have to repair my phone with the car to see the battery and use the lock/unlock.

·
Registered
2,194 Posts
Did you ask them what they had to do to get it installed? From the repairing sounds like a factory reset or more.

And grats :)

1 - 20 of 23 Posts