Volvo XC40 Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm having a 240V outlet installed today. I went with 06-50 because I read that this is what Tesla is encouraging, which should make it easier to market it as a plus factor if I ever sell my house. Unfortunately, I just realized that the Volvo cable only has an adapter for a 14-50. I have a chargepoint box set up for 06-50, but for a variety of reasons I didn't want to install that on the house just yet and was just planning on using the Volvo cable in the meantime. So my question is whether people would feel comfortable ordering one of the many cheap, generic 06-50 to 14-50 adapters available through any number of merchants, including Amazon (for example: https://tinyurl.com/5yy8z228). I'm sure Volvo would say that they prefer people to use Volvo parts, but I'm not even sure they have an adapter (a quick search didn't yield any leads). Any thoughts?

·
Registered
3 Posts
Our 2018 Tesla Model 3 came with a 14-50. From Tesla's web site:
'The recommended home charging installation for Tesla vehicles is a 240 volt NEMA 14- 50 outlet. This outlet is commonly used for electric ranges and large recreational vehicles. '

·
Registered
463 Posts
I’ve used similar adapters before, from Amazon. As long as it has a good rating, then you should be fine. The reality is that the extra grounding/common (forget technically name) 4th pin in the 14-50 is somewhat wasteful. I have a local EV friend who is an engineer by day, and he thinks 6-50 Should have been the standard from the onset. He has also used adapters w/totally good results.

·
Registered
317 Posts
14-50R is typically the go to outlet for EVSE, so I’m curious why Tesla is recommending 6-50. Was that directly from Tesla?

I have used adapters on many campers before, but that wasn’t continuously pulling power day after day. My opinion is the least amount of connection points the better.

What’s the reason you don’t want to use the ChargePoint? If you have a plug already, then it’s literally plug and go.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
14-50R is typically the go to outlet for EVSE, so I’m curious why Tesla is recommending 6-50. Was that directly from Tesla?

I have used adapters on many campers before, but that wasn’t continuously pulling power day after day. My opinion is the least amount of connection points the better.

What’s the reason you don’t want to use the ChargePoint? If you have a plug already, then it’s literally plug and go.
I wanted to avoid installing the chargepoint because we're not sure if we'll stay in the house that long. But I guess since it's a plug-in installation we're just talking about bolting it to the wall, so maybe it doesn't have to be that permanent.

The recommendation for 6-50 wasn't from Tesla. Rather, I read it on a blog somewhere, and the logic was that it was generally considered more flexible, cheaper, etc. (i.e., the same reasons another commenter here said an electrician said it should have been standard).

·
Registered
317 Posts
I wanted to avoid installing the chargepoint because we're not sure if we'll stay in the house that long. But I guess since it's a plug-in installation we're just talking about bolting it to the wall, so maybe it doesn't have to be that permanent.

The recommendation for 6-50 wasn't from Tesla. Rather, I read it on a blog somewhere, and the logic was that it was generally considered more flexible, cheaper, etc. (i.e., the same reasons another commenter here said an electrician said it should have been standard).
The 14-50 is generally a more flexible option….ie can be used for other things besides an EVSE. The 6-50 may be cheaper/easier to install because there is no neutral, so the overall wire size is smaller.

As far as the ChargePoint goes, there are only 3 screws that hold it to the wall….definitely not a permanent install. I would use the ChargePoint over the Volvo cable.

Since the ChargePoint is plugged in, then it’s not considered permanent and you came take it with you if you sell your house.

·
Registered
‘22 XC40 Recharge Twin in Denim Blue MFD 6/21
349 Posts
Anyone knows if Volvo sells the any other adaptors for level 2 other than the 14-50 nema?

·
Registered
493 Posts
I also would just install the Chargepoint. It's less than an hour's work for a novice, and is much nicer than Volvo's included mobile cable, which is quite heavy and problematically short.

·
Registered
27 Posts
I would think for home sales +'s would be that the house is wired for the plug... So many different companies making EV's, I personally would only care that the house is wired for the charger of my choice.. If I move, my charger is coming with me, so the new owner of my home can bring their charger with them, plug it in and be up and operational...

·
Registered
493 Posts
You could also swap a 14-50 receptacle into that location, label it "no neutral", and proceed (illegally but safely) with Volvo's short heavy cable. It works fine without a neutral connection, as I think do all USA style 240v EVSEs - none use the neutral.

·
Registered
2021 XC40. P8 Fusion Red
142 Posts
If you are having the 6-50 installed, pay for the 4th wire in the cable. Then it can be a 14-50. Basically the difference between a 6-50 outlet and a 14-50 outlet is a 4th print on the plug and outlet. And if you have the ChargePoint why not just install it? Did you order it with a plug-in pigtail for 6-50? I on the other hand wired my ChargePoint for 60 amp service with heavier wiring and now when I use the ChargePoint occasionally for my Tesla I can get 48 amps charging.

·
Registered
182 Posts
(seems there are duplicate posts...)

I'm going the other way - I have an EVSE with a 6-50 plug but installed a 14-50 receptacle, since that seems to be the new standard. I'm using an adapter cable, which seems to work fine with the EVSE configured for a 50A breaker:

1 - 12 of 12 Posts