Harmon Kardon - yes or no? - Volvo XC40 Forum
LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Unread 06-08-2019, 07:01 PM Thread Starter

Harmon Kardon - yes or no?

Hi all- Iím shopping for a new XC40 and need advice please on how much better the Harmon Kardon stereo is vs the stock stereo. I ask because Iíve found a car that has everything I want except the HK. Iím not a super finicky audiophile, but I have Sirius or the fm radio on pretty much 100% of the time while Iím driving and would hate to have it sound like crap. Thanks for your help!
post #2 of 13 (permalink) Unread 06-08-2019, 07:50 PM

I listened to both .... the base system is horrible so you will have to get the HK. But even that system is not all that great. The best one is the Bowers & Wilkins but its only offered in the XC60 and 90.

The HK system is ok but IMO its overpriced for what it offers. A little tinkering can get it close to where you want sound wise but then the volume falls a bit short.
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Unread 06-08-2019, 08:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by U4ic View Post
I listened to both .... the base system is horrible so you will have to get the HK. But even that system is not all that great. The best one is the Bowers & Wilkins but its only offered in the XC60 and 90.

The HK system is ok but IMO its overpriced for what it offers. A little tinkering can get it close to where you want sound wise but then the volume falls a bit short.

I second this.

WV
post #4 of 13 (permalink) Unread 06-08-2019, 10:17 PM Thread Starter

Quote:

Many thanks. I did listen to the B&W in the XC60. That gem will certainly spoil one from ever liking any lesser system!

Last edited by tiburonh; 06-08-2019 at 10:20 PM. Reason: typo in original
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Unread 06-08-2019, 10:19 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by WestVman View Post
I second this.

WV
Many thanks. Seems like (or should I say sounds like) I am going to have to continue my search until I find an available car with not just the other features/packages I want but also the HK!
post #6 of 13 (permalink) Unread 06-09-2019, 12:48 AM

Unfortunately the XC40 is too new for aftermarket parts in audio selection, but given that the HK is run on a 600 watt system, it should be fairly easy to upgrade a couple of the speakers cheaply, later on.
When I test drove it I moved the fader around and the back speakers faintly came to life only when the setting was rear biased on 8 or 9. When the speaker fader was completely set on the back, it was a little strange, as though the sound was muffled. The base is clearly lagging and the front speakers seem to be tuned more for treble. I just couldn't get a good balance between the front and back speakers.
post #7 of 13 (permalink) Unread 06-10-2019, 09:28 AM

Garage
Quote:

I agree about the B & W. I think the HK is garbage.
post #8 of 13 (permalink) Unread 06-12-2019, 02:55 PM

I test drove both the T4 and the T5 and this time I really played with the equalizer/fader/treble and bass on the HK system. I managed to get it to its optimum sound levels that I prefer and it really wasn't as bad as the first time I listened to it. It did come in short though when i drove with the windows down.

But I will say this, the HK system in the XC40 blows away the HK system in the Alfa Romeo Stelvio. If you want to feel ripped off go upgrade the Stelvio sound system. The wife has a leased Stelvio and she thinks its fine but I hate it for an $800 upgrade that is worse than a base system in a Kia.

Last edited by U4ic; 06-12-2019 at 02:59 PM.
post #9 of 13 (permalink) Unread 06-12-2019, 09:52 PM

I agree the HK system is a must if you want your music to sound good (although Sirius never does.. poor bandwidth leads to high compression and horrible sound). Especially because there aren’t speakers in the doors and everything comes from right in front of you, even the HK system feels a little empty in the XC40 until you get used to it. I understand the HK system has an extra subwoofer in addition to the “air” subwoofer in the dash and I think that helps a lot.
post #10 of 13 (permalink) Unread 06-12-2019, 10:11 PM

Poor me. I have the base system in my XC40 and although I thought I was an audiofile, I guess not because I happen to like the way it performs. I agree with the previous comment that Sirius has such low bandwidth and high compression and should not be used as a point of reference.