Vibrations at higher speeds - Volvo XC40 Forum
 1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 19 (permalink) Old 05-01-2019, 06:50 PM Thread Starter

Question Vibrations at higher speeds

I just picked up my XC40 Momentum with 20 inch wheels on April 27. Drove to work on the 29th. Once I reach about 65 mph, I start to feel a vibration in the front of the car and steering wheel. Once I hit 70 mph, it becomes very noticeable. I did confirm with a few other owners in an XC40 Facebook group that they are also experiencing the same issue. They have had their wheels balanced, had alignments, etc and nothing fixed this issue. I spoke with the salesman and he just told me to have service look at it. I just want to know if this is a known issue and if others here are experiencing this. I dont want to have to deal with the service dept not really knowing how to fix it and will file a lemon law claim if this is something that cant be rectified. I really love this car in all aspects except this one annoying issue. Any guidance would be appreciated.
post #2 of 19 (permalink) Old 05-03-2019, 11:24 AM

I had the same experience with my new XC40 back in December - significant steering wheel vibration over 70mph. I never bothered to have it checked out and after a while it just went away on its own.
post #3 of 19 (permalink) Old 05-04-2019, 06:46 PM

In some cases I have seen people get so frustrated with the vibration issue that they shopped elsewhere.
This was with other Volvo products, the T5 being one of them.
post #4 of 19 (permalink) Old 05-07-2019, 08:58 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by eVolved View Post
In some cases I have seen people get so frustrated with the vibration issue that they shopped elsewhere.
This was with other Volvo products, the T5 being one of them.
Im getting frustrated because I really love everything about the car EXCEPT this vibration.
I went back to the dealer. Tire pressure was at 44. Lowered to 33 . Rides better but still feels like I am driving on a road that isnt smooth when I get to 70 MPH. It almost feels like the front tires are bouncing off the road slightly. I dont know how else to explain it. Feel it in the steering wheel. Im going to call the dealer again tomorrow but I think I may have to go to a different Volvo Service Dept to see what their opinion is. I just cant believe this is normal to feel this. If anyone has suggestions, I would love to hear them.
post #5 of 19 (permalink) Old 05-08-2019, 11:08 PM

Lowering the air pressure below factory specs is neither safe nor the solution. Reach out to Volvo directly if your dealer isn’t getting anywhere. You are right that a vibration in a brand new car at highway speeds is a serious issue.. beyond just a minor annoyance. And it could be a safety issue. My advice is that you don’t ignore it, and be your own best advocate with Volvo or absolutely use your state’s lemon law to get a new one. That’s what it’s there for.
post #6 of 19 (permalink) Old 05-09-2019, 04:30 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jezza View Post
Lowering the air pressure below factory specs is neither safe nor the solution. Reach out to Volvo directly if your dealer isn’t getting anywhere. You are right that a vibration in a brand new car at highway speeds is a serious issue.. beyond just a minor annoyance. And it could be a safety issue. My advice is that you don’t ignore it, and be your own best advocate with Volvo or absolutely use your state’s lemon law to get a new one. That’s what it’s there for.
The pressure was at 44! they lowered it to specs of 33. I told them I wanted to drive another XC40 at highway speeds. Same tires. I did today. NO vibration. Service rep then drove my car to see if he experienced what I was talking about and sure enough at about 65 he started to feel it and said it continued even over 70 mph. I was advised that they were going to reach out to Volvo and speak with the technical team. He said he didnt feel the car was unsafe to drive. They wouldnt give me a service report because they said it wasnt an actual service appt. Now I will schedule a service appt before I bring it in so I have documentation. If need be, there will be the lemon law. Appreciate your comment and if you knew me, you would know I will be on them like flies on dog poo!! After all, I didnt buy a cheap car.
Jezza likes this.
post #7 of 19 (permalink) Old 05-09-2019, 07:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cuznvin View Post
Im getting frustrated because I really love everything about the car EXCEPT this vibration.
I went back to the dealer. Tire pressure was at 44. Lowered to 33 . Rides better but still feels like I am driving on a road that isnt smooth when I get to 70 MPH. It almost feels like the front tires are bouncing off the road slightly. I dont know how else to explain it. Feel it in the steering wheel. Im going to call the dealer again tomorrow but I think I may have to go to a different Volvo Service Dept to see what their opinion is. I just cant believe this is normal to feel this. If anyone has suggestions, I would love to hear them.
I hear you on that.

It sure makes you wonder how Polestar will perform and if these issues will also play out their. I won't mind going that direction if something XC40-like is produced.
post #8 of 19 (permalink) Old 05-12-2019, 03:10 PM

Quote:
I just picked up my XC40 Momentum with 20 inch wheels on April 27. Drove to work on the 29th. Once I reach about 65 mph, I start to feel a vibration in the front of the car and steering wheel. Once I hit 70 mph, it becomes very noticeable. I did confirm with a few other owners in an XC40 Facebook group that they are also experiencing the same issue. They have had their wheels balanced, had alignments, etc and nothing fixed this issue. I spoke with the salesman and he just told me to have service look at it. I just want to know if this is a known issue and if others here are experiencing this. I dont want to have to deal with the service dept not really knowing how to fix it and will file a lemon law claim if this is something that cant be rectified. I really love this car in all aspects except this one annoying issue. Any guidance would be appreciated.
I think this is the same issue I am also experiencing on my XC40 Inscription with 20 inch wheels. After around 65 mph, I feel a vibration coming through the steering wheel and the seats. I have two other cars which have no such vibrations on the same roads. The dealer has rotated my tires, performed a regular balancing and a road force balance but the issue remains. The dealer is now claiming that the vibrations are normal and that I shouldn't be comparing the XC 40 to my other cars since they are all different. I call BS on that. I am supposed to be driving another XC 40 tomorrow as a comparison but this issue has been there on my car since day 1. I am at 3000 miles now but the issue continues. I think its tire related but the dealer hasn't offered to replace the tires or even try a different set of rims on it.
post #9 of 19 (permalink) Old 05-12-2019, 03:33 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by autofahrer View Post
I think this is the same issue I am also experiencing on my XC40 Inscription with 20 inch wheels. After around 65 mph, I feel a vibration coming through the steering wheel and the seats. I have two other cars which have no such vibrations on the same roads. The dealer has rotated my tires, performed a regular balancing and a road force balance but the issue remains. The dealer is now claiming that the vibrations are normal and that I shouldn't be comparing the XC 40 to my other cars since they are all different. I call BS on that. I am supposed to be driving another XC 40 tomorrow as a comparison but this issue has been there on my car since day 1. I am at 3000 miles now but the issue continues. I think its tire related but the dealer hasn't offered to replace the tires or even try a different set of rims on it.
Where are you located? I suggest you get Volvo customer service involved. Tomorrow I am bringing it in to get the tires swapped out. This was offered after I asked to drive another XC40 and it didnt have the same vibration issue. After that they contacted volvo technical department and they may have suggested to swap the tires out. On another forum someone said there is an 11 point check list. It was also said that drive shaft replacement is down on the list of actions from Volvo as well. They cant say its normal if its not happening on every XC40.

Last edited by Cuznvin; 05-12-2019 at 03:36 PM.
post #10 of 19 (permalink) Old 05-12-2019, 03:41 PM

Quote:
Where are you located? I suggest you get Volvo customer service involved. Tomorrow I am bringing it in to get the tires swapped out. This was offered after I asked to drive another XC40 and it didnt have the same vibration issue. After that they contacted volvo technical department and they may have suggested to swap the tires out. On another forum someone said there is an 11 point check list. It was also said that drive shaft replacement is down on the list of actions from Volvo as well. They cant say its normal if its not happening on every XC40.
That was my next step. I am most likely going to call them tomorrow after I drive another XC 40 with the dealer technician. And you are right, it could be a tire based or another mechanical based vibration but the dealer seems to not want to take other steps before we compare another XC40 with the same tire configuration. Do you have a link to the other forum?

I am located in Seattle/Bellevue. Bought the car from Seattle Volvo but getting the car serviced at the Bellevue dealership since it's much closer to me.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page