Question to users with Harman Kardon systems. - Volvo XC40 Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 04-14-2019, 07:13 AM Thread Starter

Question to users with Harman Kardon systems.

When the autostart is activated during a traffic stop and the engine is therefore turned off, do the audio levels from your entertainment system fluctuate?

Thanks.

WV
post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 04-15-2019, 07:26 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by WestVman View Post
When the autostart is activated during a traffic stop and the engine is therefore turned off, do the audio levels from your entertainment system fluctuate?

Thanks.

WV
Yes. It has nothing to do with autostart. It has to do with zero RPM. When the engine is at zero RPM, the sound system programming believed the card is not moving. So when the RPM changes, the sound system assumed that there will be noises from the engine and the rush of wind hitting the car so it increase the volume level. This is akin to TV sets which reduces the volume for commercials. I do find this very annoying because I don't like anyone or any programming logic dictates how my sound volume should be.
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 04-17-2019, 06:21 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Watson58 View Post
Yes. It has nothing to do with autostart. It has to do with zero RPM. When the engine is at zero RPM, the sound system programming believed the card is not moving. So when the RPM changes, the sound system assumed that there will be noises from the engine and the rush of wind hitting the car so it increase the volume level. This is akin to TV sets which reduces the volume for commercials. I do find this very annoying because I don't like anyone or any programming logic dictates how my sound volume should be.

No. the sound level fluctuates with the engine stopped, as a function of autostart.There are no RPMs involved.

I think the system is sparing battery power to the autostart standby mode.

If it is the case, this, together with Intelisafe sub-systems propensity to engage in situations where they were clearly not needed, the jerky engagement/disengagement of the hill-assist feature and the lane keeping function that can not follow constant radius turns, rather acting in a series of very noticeable corrective steering inputs, all this, just adds to my feeling that Volvo engineering is not a very refined sort of engineering.

WV
post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 04-17-2019, 10:25 PM

I have not noticed it and I’m usually pretty perceptive of that kind of thing so I wonder if there’s a speed variable volume setting to turn on or off, or to adjust the intensity somewhere. It’s actually been on my mind to look for it. I keep catching the volume feeling too loud when I’m stopped. Although, I do really only like that feature when the variation in perceived volume is truly almost imperceptible as it was in my VW a couple cars back. Anyway.. let me know if you figure it out.

As for the engineering, the Volvo is jam packed with all kinds of features, but I also feel the details and refinement leave a little something to be desired. It sometimes feels a bit gimmicky.. I hate to say it, but the way Chinese tech knock offs often do. Honestly my ‘17 Mustang GT felt more premium in some important ways. One example of the Volvo falling short is that you can control all the windows after you turn the car off, but not the sunroof. Tonight I parked my car and got my dog and everything out, and then realized I’d left the sunroof open. When I pushed and held the door lock, I could hear the windows trying to close (they already were) but the sunroof stayed open. I had to get back in the car and turn the ignition back on to accomplish that. A simple thing, but this is a $46k car, well over 50 after Illinois and Chicago taxes.

When I get in my stepmom’s Mercedes GLC which cost only slightly more than my fully loaded XC40, it feels like a whole different level. Mercedes and Audi have considerably more sophisticated driving characteristics too.

After 9 months I’m still very happy with my XC4 and it’s beautiful. I’m just not sure that I’ll get another one when the lease is up because I love driving and spent lots of time in my car... and the details do add up.

Each manufacturer goes for a different set of values and priorities, and so do their loyal drivers. Many people would never notice the things you’ve described. I love the uniqueness and understated luxury of the Volvo, as well as the safety, for example. But when I’m not even one year into a car and already thinking about what’s next, I realize this may not be the best match. We’ll see.
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 04-26-2019, 08:49 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jezza View Post
When I pushed and held the door lock, I could hear the windows trying to close (they already were) but the sunroof stayed open. I had to get back in the car and turn the ignition back on to accomplish that. A simple thing, but this is a $46k car, well over 50 after Illinois and Chicago taxes.

If you long-press either the door lock or the lock key on the fob the sunroof will close.

WK
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 05-24-2019, 01:44 PM

Jezza, you mentiond that you spend a lot of time in your car, so one of the features that you should appreciate are the seats in the Volvo. We've owned 3 Volvo's and 2 Mercedes and the Volvo seats are much more comfortable if you're sitting for an extended time. We've found that the Mercedes seats are comfortable for about 100 miles, but by about 200 miles you're squirming around trying to find a more comfortable position, while with the Volvo you're just as comfortable after 500 miles as you were when you started. We had a 2007 Mercedes CLK 500 and a 2011 E 350 and both had us squirming after a couple hundred miles. We now have a Jaguar XE and the seats are not as comfortable as the Volvo seats. Since the lease on our Jaguar is about to run out we've been comparing vehicles, including the GLC Coupe and found nothing beat the XC 40. We've ordered ours and will pick it up in Sweden in October through their excellent Overseas Delivery Program.
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 05-28-2019, 12:16 PM

I use the start/stop almost exclusively in downtown traffic and never once has the volume fluctuated in the car at engine shut down. The manual even says that all of the car's ordinary systems, including lighting, radio, etc. function normally when engine is auto-stopped. I think it also mentions something about temporarily reducing some systems...and specifies "extremely high audio system volume".

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page