Red key - Volvo XC40 Forum
 3Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 11-15-2018, 08:50 AM Thread Starter
TSW

Red key

The salesman suggested that I leave the red key in the car in case I ever want to let my daughter, etc use the car.....however this week I attempted for the first time to "remote start" my car using the Volvo on Call app and it wouldn't accept my command and kept saying the "key was in the car"....is that right? So I need to remove the red key?
Ivy Lutz Bryan likes this.
post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 11-15-2018, 01:25 PM

I was also told to leavethe red key in the car by the sales person. Started having similar issues with keys. I went to Volvo service, they said DO NOT leave red key in car. Removed red key and key error messages disappeared.
TSW likes this.
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-06-2019, 04:45 PM

Red Key & Remote Start via On Call App

Seems like you can't leave the "red key" in the car AND use remote start. Anyone found a way around this? Just got the car a few days ago and LOVE it, but would be very cool if I can just leave the Red Key in the car and still use the remote start!
post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-08-2019, 10:08 AM

ALCON,

I'm able to start my XC40 remotely with the app with the red key in the car (I also keep the red key in the vehicle).
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-10-2019, 10:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikemiddle0105 View Post
ALCON,

I'm able to start my XC40 remotely with the app with the red key in the car (I also keep the red key in the vehicle).
Where in the car do you keep the red key?
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-11-2019, 08:01 AM

Leon Frankel,
Welcome to the forum. I keep the "red key" in the box it came in, inside of the passenger side door panel. Take care!
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 02-17-2019, 08:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TSW View Post
The salesman suggested that I leave the red key in the car in case I ever want to let my daughter, etc use the car.....however this week I attempted for the first time to "remote start" my car using the Volvo on Call app and it wouldn't accept my command and kept saying the "key was in the car"....is that right? So I need to remove the red key?
I leave the red key in the car and use remote start all the time. You probably need a software update.
Jezza likes this.

XC40 Owner Pennsylvania
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 02-28-2019, 09:12 PM

I can't get the remote start to work with the red key in the car either...Updated s/w last week when I bought the vehicle.
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-06-2019, 10:01 PM

I have had my XC40 for a month and use the remote start everyday with the red key always stored in the car and never had an issue with it remote starting. You probably just need an software upgrade.

XC40 Owner Pennsylvania
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-07-2019, 04:17 PM

Should red key stay or go?

I was also told to keep the red key in the console and have been able to start my car remotely with the key remaining in the car. However, the last few times, it would not start remotely. I received an error message that it was due to a key being in the car.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page