Using the glove box as a cooled area - Volvo XC40 Forum
 1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 20 (permalink) Old 10-05-2018, 02:26 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Using the glove box as a cooled area

According to the XC40 manual (page 542) you can use the glove compartment as a cooled area. However, when I look into the glove compartment of our XC40 I do not have the sliding control as depicted to activate the cooling. Any XC40 owners that have this option? Is it limited to certain trim levels (I have the Momentum T5).

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	glove comp.jpg
Views:	1648
Size:	49.9 KB
ID:	211  
post #2 of 20 (permalink) Old 10-18-2018, 05:36 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Can any current XC40 owner check if they have this option in their car? Easy to see: you should have a button with a snowflake icon in your glovebox...
post #3 of 20 (permalink) Old 10-19-2018, 05:05 PM
Gre

Will check for you once I’m back home in 2 days. However I believe this is part of the option of 2 zone climate (optional on momentum trim).
post #4 of 20 (permalink) Old 10-22-2018, 06:31 PM
Gre

I have checked and As I have mentioned before the cooled glovebox is an option included in the package of 2 zone climate (optional on momentum) but standard on the R design and inscription trims.
post #5 of 20 (permalink) Old 10-24-2018, 06:50 PM

From what I read in another forum, this option was not initially part of the US release, even if documentation showed it. However, some people that are now getting their cars today have it. Apparently it just opens up a tube that flows cold air there (when the A/C is running).

It's not in my XC40, but I can't say I will miss it. I think a cool-pack or ice-chest would work much better (and more flexible in terms of how many items I want cooled and where to put it like back-seat or trunk).
post #6 of 20 (permalink) Old 10-24-2018, 10:54 PM

Glovebox cooling

I have a US R design XC40. It does not have the glovebox cooling option. It would be nice to keep some things cooler but not a biggie.
post #7 of 20 (permalink) Old 10-25-2018, 01:31 AM
Gre

US standard options are different Than the European ones. Here ( at least in Greece) the basic momentum T3 FWD manual gear shifter has a price tag of 34,000 euros. To have the glovebox cooling, the 2 zone climate should be added as an option. If you tick almost all options for the T5 model, the price tag will reach 75,000 euros (Appx90,000 Usd) . And to be honest if it wasn’t for you guys here I would have not noticed that I had one in my glovebox. It’s not a game changer at least for me.
post #8 of 20 (permalink) Old 02-17-2019, 08:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by robberrun View Post
According to the XC40 manual (page 542) you can use the glove compartment as a cooled area. However, when I look into the glove compartment of our XC40 I do not have the sliding control as depicted to activate the cooling. Any XC40 owners that have this option? Is it limited to certain trim levels (I have the Momentum T5).

. I have a US R Design and have it.

XC40 Owner Pennsylvania
post #9 of 20 (permalink) Old 02-19-2019, 02:07 AM

does anyone here know how well insulated it is or at least how long we can keep something cold for?
having seen an increase in double insulated systems i'm hoping that's the case here.
post #10 of 20 (permalink) Old 02-19-2019, 06:57 PM

I got my R Design the beginning of January '19 and I have it. (Based on other comments, I was not sure if I would get it or not, but I was pleasantly surprised when I picked it up and the little snowflake was present!) I actually used it this last weekend with the heater on (I'm in Colorado, so it was cold, snowy day). I had an hour drive and put in a room temperature bottle of water and when I arrived it was cool to cold...not ice cold, but a pleasant temperature. The glove box doesn't appear to have much, if any, insulation, so I expect if left in the car, it would not stay that temperature for too long (unless it was in winter!). I was surprised it worked with the heat on, but I checked and cold air was indeed flowing into the glove box while the heater was on :-) It will be a nice feature in the summer.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page