How do you change the oil & filter? - Volvo XC40 Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 06-07-2018, 09:23 PM Thread Starter

How do you change the oil & filter?

Does anyone know how to change the oil & filter in this technological beastie? I like to do it myself. I figure I can get under the car and figure it out, but can’t find anything on the web. I know it takes Castrol Edge full synthetic 0-30 at 5.9 quarts at 10,000 mile intervals. But I like to change my oil at 5,000 miles and replace the oil filter. Does anyone know how to reset the service engine light? Reset the oil life indicator? And this car doesn’t even have a dip stick! I must be getting old!
post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 06-08-2018, 12:38 PM

There should be an electronic oil level sensor located on the engine cover. Should also be an electronic oil level gauge in the center display once the vehicle has been started. That's what I got from the owner's manual. How to change it is missing from what I can tell.
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 06-09-2018, 03:13 PM

I too would like info on this. If you look at other T5 engines the oil filter is on the left underside of the engine. I'm curious about things like what size oil filter wrench is needed, torque specs for filter and oil plug, and installing the oil filter correctly. (I'm used to the screw on type)
post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 06-11-2018, 12:55 AM

With past cars I would often compare the cost of doing it myself to what a good independent shop would charge and often it came close enough to justify only going to the shop. Are there any good independent Volvo shops around you?
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 09-16-2018, 07:09 AM Thread Starter

There are independent shops near me. None of them have experience with Volvos. But I like to work on my own cars myself. It’s enjoyable to me; and I know the job is done right. Plus it’s sad to say but dealerships run their service depts. as a profit center. They are always looking for ways to up sell the customer and charge for extras and things you may not truly need. With a good code reader and a little experience, you can literally save thousands of dollars over the lifetime of your Volvo. When I bought my XC40 last April, I traded in my 1993 Volvo 940 Turbo Wagon for it. my dad bought it new and I have done the majority of the service on it. Volvos absolutely hold up over time if they are properly maintained.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page