Driver Profiles linked to keys - Page 2 - Volvo XC40 Forum
 5Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #11 of 19 (permalink) Old 11-08-2018, 11:18 AM

After you set the profile, if both people getting into the car with profile set on their keys, which key will the car set up with?
into
post #12 of 19 (permalink) Old 11-09-2018, 10:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by robberrun View Post
OK, I think I got it to work now... I took some time to go through the whole process again and - this was mentioned before in this thread but I read over it - the key is to SAVE the settings to the profile linked to the key. This is not very user friendly, since the save button is not an obvious button. I thought it was just a note under the settings, but it is actually a button to save your settings to the locked profile.

So, this is what I did using the two main key fobs. Every time I used a different key I placed the other key a far distance away from the car to avoid any confusion. I have also marked each key with the first initial of the driver, so we do not confuse key fobs.
1. Unlock the car with the key fob that you want to program. This is essential, the car only applies the profile settings linked to the key fob if you unlock the car with that fob. Walking up to the car with the key fob if the car is already unlocked does not apply the profile settings. Since we park inside, we were not in a habit of locking the car, so the profile was not applied...
2. Once in the car, select the (already created) profile that you want to link to the key fob. Make all the necessary changes to the seat, mirrors and entertainment system. Now link the profile to the key fob and lock the profile. In this setting screen (under System - Profiles) you will see a long bar that allows you to save your settings to the profile. You need to perform this save (which we did not do before).
So the combination of not unlocking the car and not saving the locked profile resulted in unpredictable behavior for us. Now we have corrected both and it is working as expected.
I am usually pretty good at figuring things out but pairing the key to the profile still has me stumped. I was excited to read your step by step and ran out to the car with my wife's red key leaving the black key in the house inside a drawer. I locked the car then unlocked it, all with the red key. When I opened the door, it goes to my saved seat settings first (through the door buttons). I switched it to setting 2 and my wife's seat settings moved into position.

All good so far. I started the car using her profile. Went into the key pairing process and the dial started spinning. Then it stopped and said what it always does: "There is no key found". I tried it again placing the red key in the second key reader position in the armrest. The same issue. "no key found". The car is running mind you!
post #13 of 19 (permalink) Old 11-12-2018, 07:18 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Red key? That's not a standard key... The red key is intended to be used for when you give someone remotely access to use your car with Volvo On Call. We are using the two black large key fobs for using the profiles. I marked each key with our first initial using some sticky letters.
post #14 of 19 (permalink) Old 11-13-2018, 05:44 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by FRANKG View Post
After you set the profile, if both people getting into the car with profile set on their keys, which key will the car set up with?
into
Depends which key triggered unlocking the doors. The screen will show the name of the profile to which the car will be set.
post #15 of 19 (permalink) Old 11-13-2018, 05:47 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Quote:
Red key? That's not a standard key... The red key is intended to be used for when you give someone remotely access to use your car with Volvo On Call. We are using the two black large key fobs for using the profiles. I marked each key with our first initial using some sticky letters.
Confirmed in the manual: profiles can only be linked to remote keys (the black ones). The red key (Red Key in the manual) is not available for profile linking.
post #16 of 19 (permalink) Old 05-01-2019, 03:40 PM

Quote:
We have had our XC40 for two weeks. We setup two driver profiles, each linked to one of the standard keys. However, this does not work reliably with our car. Sometimes the seats and mirror adjust to the profile, sometimes only the mirrors adjust and sometimes neither. Has any current XC40 owner succeeded in setting this up and working consistently? This is an important feature for us with two main drivers of the car. We followed the instructions in the manual, which state that you can link seat, mirror and entertainment settings to a specific key.
Much the same problem here. The reply I got from Volvo care was to not carry two key fobs in the car at the same time. This is ridiculously impractical. When my wife and I get in the car together the seat and music switch to her setting while the mirrors and climate control switch to mine. (The music actually switches to Sirius (her setting) and plays, but SHOWS that it is playing from USB (my setting). To get to USB you have to swipe left, go into Sirius so that it shows what it is actually playing, then swipe left again and select USB. So frustrating.) I have reset and locked my setting numerous times, but those settings are overridden by this new hybrid setting (I've tried both not locked and locked settings. It makes no difference.). They advise putting the actual driving fob in the cup holder, but everything is set as soon as we open the doors, so this is not helpful advice. The settings are already locked in. Is there any practical advice for how to fix this?
post #17 of 19 (permalink) Old 05-01-2019, 03:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FRANKG View Post
into
In my case, both. The system doesn't seem to be able to deal with this. The advice I got from Volvo Care was to not carry two fobs into the car, but that is remarkably unhelpful advice. It just messes up the saved settings and creates a hybrid setting all its own. So frustrating.
post #18 of 19 (permalink) Old 05-07-2019, 02:08 PM
ayn

Does it set the profile of the key if I walk up to my locked car, and unlock with a door handle (keyless unlock)?
post #19 of 19 (permalink) Old 05-07-2019, 02:12 PM

It is my experience that whatever FOB is used to unlock the car - that is the profile that will be used. My wife and I regularly drive in the car together with both having fobs in the car at the same time.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page