Brake vibration - Volvo XC40 Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 04-10-2019, 10:02 PM Thread Starter

Brake vibration

I've got just over 13k miles on my car and somewhere around 11k miles it developed a slight vibration w/ a subtle noise when pressing the brakes. I thought it went away but I've noticed it again a few times lately when braking hard. Tonight I was watching TheTopher's review of the new V60 on YouTube and he mentioned he's driven a couple new Volvos with vibrating brakes lately, including the XC40. Just curious if anyone else has experienced it.
post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 04-23-2019, 04:16 PM

Motorman409

Here's the deal on mine.
~20,000 km (~12,000 miles) the brakes are vibrating at various speeds. Generally from 70-100 km/hr in a controlled stop.
Went to the dealer (I have a very good dealer - Valentine Volvo) and went for a spin with the shop manager - Bill.
He feels it, (he's a car guy) and thinks it's the rear brakes. In the shop, and the rear rotors (run-out) are way out of spec.
Rear spec is 0.075 mm, they are 0.184 mm. Rotors replaced.
Technician doesn't like the feel, back in the shop (did I mention that this is a good dealership?)
Checked the front run-out, and it's worse.
All four rotors replaced.
Brakes are good since.
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 04-26-2019, 09:34 PM

Vibrating

Hello Motorman409,
Thank you for your post.
Bought my XC40 on April 17, 2019. I love the car. While driving recently I feel a vibration wasn't sure why or what caused the vibration. Not the first time. After reading your post about the vibration and brakes . I feel maybe the vibration is coming from the brakes? Never had a car do that before. I will be going to the dealer for my plates and I have a list I will add this to the list.
post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 05-12-2019, 10:02 AM Thread Starter

Yes, thanks for your reply, Motorman409. Appreciate the information. You are fortunate to have access to such a good dealer. I'll start to push mine on this issue.
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 05-12-2019, 02:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gfallon View Post
Hello Motorman409,
Thank you for your post.
Bought my XC40 on April 17, 2019. I love the car. While driving recently I feel a vibration wasn't sure why or what caused the vibration. Not the first time. After reading your post about the vibration and brakes . I feel maybe the vibration is coming from the brakes? Never had a car do that before. I will be going to the dealer for my plates and I have a list I will add this to the list.
Do you feel the vibrations while braking or in general? I have a vibration issue with mine above 65 mph and have taken it to the dealer 4 times now. Not sure what is causing it yet but now the dealership is saying its normal. I have two other cars which are driven on the same roads and I don't feel the vibrations in those cars.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page