Opening Tailgate With Foot Movement - Volvo XC40 Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 21 (permalink) Old 04-12-2018, 03:39 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Opening Tailgate With Foot Movement

Is anyone having trouble getting the tailgate to consistently open using the foot-kick movement? Our success rate is less than 20%. Note that we have the trailer hitch installed - I'm not sure if that somehow plays into it. We've tried everything that we can think of - slow kicks, fast kicks, kicks in a sweeping motion, kicks closer to and farther from the bumper sensors. Nothing seems to consistently work. The key fob is always in one of our pockets. We haven't checked with the dealer yet but that is our next step if no one here has a suggestion.

Current/Previous vehicles: 2019 Volvo XC40 R-Design, 2018 Audi TTS, 2016 Audi TT, 2015 Porsche Macan Turbo, 2008 Lexus IS-F
post #2 of 21 (permalink) Old 04-13-2018, 01:33 PM Thread Starter

Garage
So we tried it again last night and think we've found the sweet spot. The sensors seem to require the leg/foot kick action between the right side of the left exhaust port and the left-most side of the rear diffuser. It takes some practice, or at least it did for us.

Current/Previous vehicles: 2019 Volvo XC40 R-Design, 2018 Audi TTS, 2016 Audi TT, 2015 Porsche Macan Turbo, 2008 Lexus IS-F
post #3 of 21 (permalink) Old 04-22-2018, 12:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Got F? View Post
So we tried it again last night and think we've found the sweet spot. The sensors seem to require the leg/foot kick action between the right side of the left exhaust port and the left-most side of the rear diffuser. It takes some practice, or at least it did for us. [IMG class=inlineimg]https://www.xc40forum.com/forum/images/XC40Forum/smilies/tango_face_smile.png[/IMG]
That sounds right, the guide shows a diagram of the the sensor that is left of center under the bumper to the right of the exhaust pipe.
post #4 of 21 (permalink) Old 04-30-2018, 10:18 AM

the kick

same here, can't consistently find that sweetspot yet.
post #5 of 21 (permalink) Old 05-01-2018, 04:03 PM

We struggle with the foot action tailgate. But I have come to the conclusion that it is the proximity of the key fob that is key. Hold the key fob close to the car and wave your foot under the sweet spot and it'll open every time (Or that seems to be what I have found). What's frustrating is to be in a parking lot with your arms full of bags, etc. that are in front of your body (blocking the key fob) and you want that rear gate to open and it doesn't.
post #6 of 21 (permalink) Old 08-20-2018, 01:19 PM
efh

When we went in for our test drive, the dealer shared that the right "V" on the rear tailgate "Volvo" acts as an arrow to the sensor. Don't have ours yet, but kicking right below that might help?
post #7 of 21 (permalink) Old 08-20-2018, 06:03 PM

In the future voice commands should become an option for these because that's also how smart devices will be shifting in experience. The rise of assitive services plays right into our home and car experiences.
post #8 of 21 (permalink) Old 08-26-2018, 10:18 AM

I had an issue with this with my acadia denali. Its embarrassing when you try to show your party trick and it doesn't work lol
post #9 of 21 (permalink) Old 08-26-2018, 08:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by efh View Post
When we went in for our test drive, the dealer shared that the right "V" on the rear tailgate "Volvo" acts as an arrow to the sensor. Don't have ours yet, but kicking right below that might help?
I tried your suggestion, and no dice. I always aim using the first o and it works every time.
post #10 of 21 (permalink) Old 08-26-2018, 11:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rells04 View Post
I had an issue with this with my acadia denali. Its embarrassing when you try to show your party trick and it doesn't work lol
Give it time and eventually Voice integration will be a thing and there's no messing that up. These systems learn how you speak over time and become better at understanding commands.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page