Broken Tailgate Handle - Volvo XC40 Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 11-03-2018, 10:08 AM Thread Starter

Garage
Broken Tailgate Handle

After four months of ownership (Momentum T5 trim) and 5,000 miles we have encountered the first real problem with the car. The tailgate outside handle (which also houses the rear view camera and license plate lights) has broken. The handle is made of plastic and attached to the tailgate with two screws. The plastic surrounding the screws has broken, making the handle fall out... Please see the attached picture from the manual with a close-up of the part in question.
Apparently this problem is not unique to us, other XC40 owners have reported this issue: https://www.xc40forums.co.uk/viewtopic.php?t=592
It seems that Volvo did not design sufficient strength in the handle and how it is attached to the tailgate. Although the tailgate is intended to be operated using the power feature (at least on most if not all trims sold in the US), it is inevitable that sooner or later people are going to open and close the tailgate manually, since they do not know about the power option. As the owner you cannot stand next to tailgate every time a passenger opens/closes the tailgate. The manual does refer to operating the tailgate manually, so the handle should be able to support this.
I will visit the dealer shortly to see what can be done (using duct tape in the mean time to hold the handle in place), but it likely requires replacement of the complete handle including the embedded electronics. For now I would recommend current and future owners to use the powered options (key fob, dashboard button, kicking motion, tailgate buttons) as much as possible and instruct passengers using the tailgate accordingly to avoid placing stress on the tailgate handle.

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Tailgate Handle.jpg
Views:	680
Size:	37.3 KB
ID:	221  
post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 11-03-2018, 02:36 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Since it is Saturday and I had some time to look closer at the broken handle, I decided to try to find a more semi-permanent fix until I can bring the XC40 in for service. My Volvo dealer is about a 40 minute drive, so hopefully this fix will last me until the next service. It feels solid and looks better than duct tape! I used two washers and screws that were about twice as long as the original screws, but a bit thinner. I reused the clips that grab the tailgate bodywork and where the screws attach. I could have used larger washers, but once I attached it I did not want to take the handle off again. I had to use some mild glue to keep the clips from turning when tightening the screws.
Volvo can improve the design of the handle by making the handle flat, so you are not tempted to close the tailgate by pulling the handle (and breaking it off).

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20181103_141947.jpg
Views:	566
Size:	147.4 KB
ID:	223  
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 12-03-2018, 04:37 PM

Trunk Handle Falling Off

HA! I knew I wouldnt be the only 1 with this problem. Somehow the right screw has broken off and my dealership is saying that its not under warranty and Volvo Corporate says they are not going to assist. The car has 5,000 miles and is a 2019. It should NOT be falling apart!
post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 12-05-2018, 07:02 PM

Mine was covered by the warranty... Maybe you need to ask the dealer again and / or choose another dealer. You can also call the Volvo customer support line as they are often most helpful
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 01-28-2019, 06:12 PM

Broken Taulgate

Me too exactly same. First edition 9 months 2k miles broken exactly same.
Response from dealer not good. Not going to be fobbed off it’s design fault will persue Volvo if lookers don’t sort foc and use social media to advise what disgusting way to behave if don’t get resolved. Worrying how rubbish and weak the installation actually is..
Part is faulty - cannot be abused totally electric not force exerted closed and opened automatically
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 01-29-2019, 07:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hshlevin View Post
Mine was covered by the warranty... Maybe you need to ask the dealer again and / or choose another dealer. You can also call the Volvo customer support line as they are often most helpful
Agree.

Dealers are often poorly run unless you're buying one of their flagship vehicles, then you get treated like a king in most instances.
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 02-08-2019, 12:59 PM

My XC40 also has this problem. The right screw is completely broken off. Took it to my Volvo Service department and was told that mine is the 5th one that he has seen with this issue. He said it’s a poor design and that the part has been redesigned. He ordered it for me and no charge to me.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page